joe28kdx

Sep 28, 2001
Water Psi and temp

I do 50 pipes with a torch and air Psi befroe I do a staem fix.
true you weaken the area with a torch, that's why I have a guard on it now, but, but, when you dent it you stretch the metal anyway so either way....
Steam PSI to fix it is way too dangerous. Think about it. you heat the area to weaken it, than air psi to pop it out! Steam or ice will creat PSI over the entire pipe. seams will split I bet before the dent pops out, then you have water 212 degrees spraying all over. I bet you gotta build a TON of PSI before it'll pop. It steam/ice worked, don't you think the pipe guys would fix it????. Someone try it and see!
I think everone missing the point here. If you got a set of torches in your shop, you should have the brains to know how to use them RIGHT!!!!
I won't ene tell you how many gas tanks I've fixed over the years by flushing them with water and sticking a exhuast hose from a car in it and running exhuast in it to make the air inert. If you have fears about the pipe try that.
Unless your dumping raw fuel and then heating up the pipe I think you be relitity safe. If your in doubt send it outor flush with water and let it dry will work.
I was more worried about the plugs poping out do to air PSI before I worried about an explosion. The chances of a HUGE explosion and sharp pieces of metal ripping my body and shop apart was right up there with me lapping Freddette!! Worce case serino, the small plug popping out, but, I had a small leak sorta like a pressure release valve built in.
Was I afraid, not really, will I do it again, yes, I was confindent with my ability and set up.
Joe

Top Bottom