YZandrew

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2001
I've got two rides on the 400 exc. Both times I've burned my pant leg on the pipe. I'm looking at getting one of the guards from e-line that fits over the pipe and the silencer. Any one have one? And since I'm ordering something anyways, I was looking at the front pipe guard too. I'm wondering about heat though. Will the carbon fiber hold all that heat in? Oh, and how are you guys keeping your pipes from turning blue? Thanks.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
I too have a carbon fiber guard on the way. I do not have one one the front, but do have a small ding in the pipe already.

If you are 'on the gas' the pipe is going to change color. The 'G' models change color even faster.

Steve Riley

Nov 12, 2001
There are two guards for the Silencer. The carbon fiber ones and aluminum ones. The Carbon fiber one will remain cooler to the touch than the aluminum one. But the cost is very different. You might want to check out brapoffroad.com in addition to e-line. Prices are a lot better.

YZandrew

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2001
Thanks for the replies. I definately need to get something, I already have two spots on the pipe from burnt pant material. I looked at the brapoffroad site, but you can't really get a good look at the parts from those pictures. I'm going to email them and ask for a closer picture. I don't mind paying more for a better piece, but if there's not that much of a difference it looks like I can get silencer and front pipe guard for the same price as one of them at e-line.

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
I've got the eline pipe gaurd on my Gas Gas. I also had one on a Suzuki. They are great and will protect the pipe very well. On really hard hits it does bend the entire pipe at the head is the only draw back. I have never had that happen on either bike I've used one on. I would recommend one. :)

marktm520

Mar 22, 2001
I have a carbon fiber pipe guard that I purchased from Mike at Cycle Zone. It has saved my pants leg and protected the pipe, it gets very warm during riding, but will not melt your pants. While you are ordering a pipe guard, I HIGHLY recommend getting a guard, either aluminum or carbon fiber, for the silencer/pipe junction. My Alpinestars have several parts that are melted from contact with the silencer/pipe junction. I also put a second degree burn on my leg when I leaned against my bike and my leg touched the silencer/pipe junction. Mark

YZandrew

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2001
I ordered an aluminum silencer guard from brapoffroad. Looks like it will do the same job as the carbon fiber piece but at only $30, it leaves a little more left in the wallet. The guy there seemed pretty cool so we'll see how the part works. I've been searching for what others have going on with jetting and I found a few members here somewhat close to me so I'll looking at their settings for direction. For now though I've got it at the non "G" settings. All this jetting stuff is new to me, but I'll get it eventually.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
I too got the E-line Carbon fiber through MunnRacing. It is high quality.

YZA- if you have jetting questions, ask away!

YZandrew

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2001
Thanks Strick. I think what I need first is something that has the whole thing broken down. I've worked on Holleys on a car before, so I'm somewhat familiar with a carb. These things just have a lot more adjustment than I'm used to! I think once I figure out what does what, I can start on how changes in jetting will affect the bike.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom