Katoom

Feb 19, 2002
I'm replacing the piston in my bike (96 KTM 300) and would like to hear your opinions on different brands. I was going to order a Wiseco but my dealer told me that KTM factory pistons are by far better and will last longer. This is hard to believe because I thought that they are both forged aluminium and should be about the same quality. Is it worth it to buy the much more expensive factory piston??

Thanks

ktmdad

Feb 29, 2000
I always replaced my OEM pistons with Wiseco. Never had a problem and they lasted just as long as the OEM. Plus they're heck of a lot less expensive than what KTM dealer's charge for OEM piston kits.

grass-digger

Oct 21, 2001
my dealer allso said that my stock OEM piston for my cr would outlast any brand but i bought a wisco no problems what so ever and i think i might change his mind about his pholosophie

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Look at it this way. How long has that factory piston been in service? I'd almost be tempted to go with the factory part. That being said when Eric Gorr went through my 360 he used a Wiseco :confused:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I think KTM factory pistons are now Vertex. They used to be Elko.

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
I thought they were made by Mahle (sp?). The OEM piston for my 98 380 was a coated piston, much like the Vertex. I was surprised when I put the OEM replacement in my 99 250EXC as it wasn't coated.

KYHU

Jun 12, 2001
I'm pretty sure that the OEM pistons were made by Mahle. Mahle is really a big name in the pistons and rings manufacturing departement. But I know that a Mahle piston is 2-3 times more expensive than a Vertex piston.

david

BBD

Apr 10, 2002
We use Wiseco pistons in all but 2 topends. Have had no problems yet. Cost is almost 1/2 of KTM. Break in the topend and it will last.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
My '00 OEM was an Elko. Not coated.

Idaho Charley

Jul 20, 2000
My 98 380 exc orginal piston was a Elko coated piston. Replaced in 2000 with another Elko coated piston. Replaced in 2001 with a Wiseco after Eric Gorr Mo Better porting - No longivity problems with either type in my KTM.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Different years have come with different pistons, my 00KTM 125sx came with a forged piston(elko i think)the 01 came with a cast vertex.

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
I dont think it matters too much . I use OEM pistons but my friends have used Wiseco in their 300's and never had a problem, and they are cheaper too. Whichever way you go I dont think you will have a problem.

vince

Oct 19, 1999
Verify with your manual but on my 98 250e it had a cast piston. Vertex and KTM pistons are cast piston. Weisco is a forged piston. The diff. between the two is the amount of time they take to expand when you heat up the engine . A cast piston will heat up much quicker than a forged one will. Meaning that the piston will not slap inside the cylinder as long. Both Weisco and Vertex are owned by the same company. I think that the cast pistons tend to run a little bit heavier (ounces) which would give you a more torquie feel. And then there is always the $$$ you could buy 2-3 top ends with gaskets for the price of 1 stock setup.
You may be stuck tho because I don't think that Vertex has a piston for the 300.
Remember there are A,B,C,D,E sizes.

Good luck ,
Vince

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom