KDX 1009

Jun 15, 2003
Congrats on an excellent site guys, anyway i have recently bought a KDX 200 97 model and it seemed unusually loud. After examining the silencer i found the previous owner had it packed with house insulation. I went to my local bike shop and bought some muffler repack and fitted it in. The bike is far quieter than it was but is still quite loud. I'm wondering should i repack the muffler with more or leave it. Noise doesn't bother me but power does what should i do to get maximum power?

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Although I have never used home insulation to pack a silencer, I know that many do use it.

MORE packing doesn't mean the bike will be quieter. When you repack the silencer you are looking for a snug fit, not a tight one.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
It does seem a common (and a mis-) conception that louder is better.

That ain't necessarily so.

It's not a matter of cramming it in there with a pnuematic hammer, but neither should it be a fluff job (he said, agreeing with what RV6 already stated).

Any motorcycle club should have access to a db meter. Find one and ask if you can check your bike. I'm sure dealers would have one, too. If you're running over 92, you're too loud by some standards.

It's a silencer /arrestor? Or just a silencer?

Did you use all the packing? Most packages I've seen are about right for one repack on my PC.

My PC S/A (just repacked) ran an 89 at the last event.

KDX 1009

Jun 15, 2003
yeah i heard that louder is not necessarily better but what about more power? Will the power be the same with or without packing? What should I do to the silencer to get the most power out of my bike?

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Best performance mod for a silencer is to keep it clean. This way it can work the way it was designed.

If your bike is jetted correctly the packing will last a long time. If you're blowin' a lot of spooge expect to repack the silencer often.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
A generally true statement: A bike will make more power with a proper silencer pack as opposed to an improper packing job.

What you should do to get the most power out of your bike:

Pack the S/A properly.

wallasaki

May 23, 2002
Anyone know the db meter reading on a stock exhaust system? Making the pipe/silencer move soon and want to keep it close to the quiet stock db reading.

Top Bottom