Mar 10, 2004
I went in my Garage today and saw a huge puddle of oil under my brand new 2004 KTM 300 EXC. I've tightened all the bolts like you should, but I tightened them up again around the tranny cover. The bolts turned somewhat, but not much. Is that enough to cause such a significant amount of oil to drain out. Its coming from the cover/gasket seal. Perhaps the gasket could be in a bind not making a full seal. I find it funny to leak out so much being at a dead stop with the engine cold. I still have my 30 day warranty, guess I need to take it to the shop just to be safe. Anybody else ever have this problem?

Thanks.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Did you strip out your fill or level bolts?

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
If you over fill your tranny it will leak out the countershaft seal when it's on it's kick stand. Mine did that.

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
From what i understand almost all KTM's leak from the countershaft seal(o-ring), even brand new ones. My local dealer machined a very thin spacer that goes between the CS sproket and the clip to put just the slightest more pressure on the o-ring. that is the real cause for the leak. I put it on my 03 250sx and it has worked good so far.

Mar 10, 2004
Well took it to the shop today, turned out the gasket wasn't seated properly, it was hanging out. So the clutch cover was basically medal against medal, thus letting oil drip right out. Straigthened it out and tightened it back up and wah la, problem fixed. Thanks for replies.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Man and I watned to suggest maybe it was assembled by an AMF H-D worker :ugg:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Patman said:
Man and I watned to suggest maybe it was assembled by an AMF H-D worker :ugg:

Or an old BSA mechanic :debil:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom