question about piston ring position

jimspe

Aug 9, 2005
Hello, I am a first timer at rebuilding a mc engine, I have been dragging around with me a 1972 yamaha ct 175 for approx 20 years wanting to someday ride it, I had it running but it was flat in performance so I sent the cylinder out for overbore to accomidate a new .50mm piston and ring set, I have it back from the mach shop and have found that the 2 piston rings are different, one is "wedge" shaped and the other is "square", my quest is which groove does the wedge shape fit in ? After that I can start re-assembly, thanks for any help one might provide,,,,,,,,jim

jimspe

Aug 9, 2005
Ok ,,,,,,,,,, I got an answer about this ,,,,,,,,,,the wedge looking ring goes on the top (upper) ring groove with the writting "UP",,,,,,,,, now I hear that once the cylinder has been bored (.50mm and up) (which mine has been)that the head has to be "bored" ? to match so as to prevent the piston from "slapping" the edges of the head that hang over,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, does anyone out there have a shop in mind that does this ? I just spent 8-10 weeks waiting for the cylinder,,,,,,,,,,, thanks ,jimBo

Dave.Smith

Dec 15, 2002
Square cut ring top, beveled ring bottom. The piston has a ring locating pin pressed in to each ring groove. Take a close look at the ring ends - they are notched (for lack of a better word) to match up with the pins.

jimspe

Aug 9, 2005
is that out of a book ? pertaining to the 72 yam ct 175 ? cause I've got 2 answers and now they are opposite,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ugh, thanks ,,jimBo

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I believe Dave is correct.
The beveled ring is the oil ring and should be on the bottom.
I think that the pins located in the ring grooves are off-set from one another, meaning that when the ring is in the correct groove, the exhaust arrow (on the ring) will be pointing to the front of the engine.

Top Bottom