AllOver

Dec 12, 2006
Stupid question, but do dirt bikes have titles?

I'm almost certain the answer is yes, I bought a racing four wheeler and it had a title. I've never bought a dirt bike though, I've been doing a lot of big mountain mountain biking and want to give motocross a shot.

I called a seller of a used RM250 and asked if he had the title. He said dirt bikes come with a "certificate of origin". Is this the same as a title or am being told a tale? Thanks and sorry for the dumb question.

btm1948

Jun 4, 2008
i bought my a 100 a couple years back from a honda dealer and didnt get a title or any thing. its not realy a dumb question i am wondering the same thing i have never ran into a situation where i needed a title or any thing just the vin number. if you like mountain biking then i think you will have alot of fun on a dirt bike.

AllOver

Dec 12, 2006
Thanks for the response! From doing some searching through the forums here it seems that if one lives on the West coast a title is needed to get the sticker to ride on public land there. I will be living on the West coast soon so I want to make sure all my bases are covered.

TJSCOTT1977xr75

Mod Ban
Oct 4, 2007
im either retarted, or you only get a title if you register the bike

AllOver

Dec 12, 2006
OK, I'm starting to think that you don't get a title when buying a dirt bike. I also got the idea to call a dealership and ask so I'm going to try that out tomorrow as well.

bwood

Mar 21, 2004
I depends on the state you live in. I'm here in Texas and dirtbikes do have titles. I'm not sure what year they started. You don't get copy of them anymore until it is paid off. In Oklahoma (just north of me) they don't call it a title, but I don't remember what they call it. It basically is a legal document that tracks the VIN and shows ownership. I would imagine all states have something. I always make sure to ask for a title when dealing with bikes. If they don't have one, I would use the VIN and do a title search to make sure it is not stolen.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
It varies by state. In California, for example, all Off Highway Vehicles must have the appropriate "red" or "green" sticker and will have a "pink slip" (Title).

According the AMA website, Oregon also requires OHVs to be registered and they will have a Title.

In such a state this is normally taken care of for you when you buy a vehicle new from a dealer. If you buy used, however, it is common to find bikes that either have been brought in from another state or for some reason were never properly registered. I can tell you first hand that in California this can be corrected but it does require some paper work and multiple trips to the DMV.

Rod

AllOver

Dec 12, 2006
Thanks RMC, thats pretty informative. I'm actually temporarily living out of Oregon in Alabama where I'm buying the bike. I'm not certain if the bike was originated in Alabama though. I didn't get a chance to talk to the local dealership either as they are closed on Mondays. Your post does clear up my skepticism about this potential purchase though, much thanks!

Top Bottom