70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
on these tighter MI sugar sand trailes what gear do you guy's mostly ride in? I find my self mostly in second some times getting in to third. I wonder sometimes if I'd just stay in third more my over all speeds would increase.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Marlin

I'm not a fast guy but my philosophy when riding is that I will go fastest in the tallest gear I can pull because the bike can "run out" the gear and gain speed more than if I'm revving the crap out of the lower gear. Riding the highest gear possible will also allow me to be smoother, maintain taction and maintain momemtum. Now if a fast guy answers this maybe I can learn something too!

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
ya ya fast guy fred! if I could achive your slowness. i'd be much happier. I just guess that I'll have to ajust my jetting to be able lug it in a higher gear. thanks for the input!

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
It would not do you much good to know what gear I ride in since my YZ250F has a tall first gear and the other ratios (1 through 5) are very close with a top end of only 55-60. Therefore, I find myself in 4th or 5th gear much of the time where as 3rd and 4th were the norm on other bikes I’ve owned.

I share the same opinion as the others about riding a gear high if you can. I believe it is better to run a gear high and try to maintain momentum than to rev the crap out of it, accelerating and decelerating all the time. Pointing, shooting, and braking all sap your strength and energy. Especially if you are riding a heavy or high powered bike.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
I don't recall having to wait for you at all Mr. Pumpkin Man! :)

Hiller

May 22, 2001
Badgerman, I have scribed your words into my brain, (and into my palm pilot). I have taken an oath to repeat your words every morning, every evening and every other time I look at my bike.

Last Saturday, at Gladwin, I was running 3rd and 4th buth those trails are pretty open and fast. (Badgerman would have been running my bike in 6th between 80 and 95MPH! ! !)
Since I started riding a thumper (KTM 520) I have focused strictly on riding smooth and trying to carry speed through the turns. This has certainly helped my riding endurance and has made me quite a bit faster.

With all that said, I don't really have any right replying to this post, since it was directed to the FAST guys.
Mike

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
A KTM520 with six gears! Holly cow, why do you even need gears on that bike. Just stick it in third and remove the shift lever to save weight!

I very rarely touched fifth gear on the KTM250EXC I previously owned. However, that YZF runs through the gears so fast, I wish it had a sixth gear for the two tracks. That’s why you guys all leave me in the dust when we get off the single track. I have thought about adding a tooth to the front sprocket but that will also raise first gear and make it even more prone to stalling. As is, I love the way it pulls with the stock gearing. It’s really quick for a little thumper.

Frankly, I don’t think I ride the tight technical stuff very well. I tend to make up for it on the fast whopped out trails, probably because of the bike I’m riding. That thing just eats whoops like nothing I have ever ridden before. When I was racing, I did well at events like Jackpine or Traverse City but poorly whenever we raced in Indiana or the U.P.

I need to force myself to ride more of the tight technical stuff. Now Loctite is the one to watch and learn from when the trail gets tight and technical. He is very smooth!

Hiller

May 22, 2001
Actually my shift lever and kickstart lever both rattled loose and fell off on my very first ride and I didn't even notice for a few months......

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Thank bunch'es! what I'm going to do is stay in 3rd as much as I can. and just try to stay as smooth . BadgerMan: I could never keep up with you long enough to even see your style. my goal is too raise my level of incompetents. to at least be able to sweep.

Last edited:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by BadgerMan

I need to force myself to ride more of the tight technical stuff. Now Loctite is the one to watch and learn from when the trail gets tight and technical. He is very smooth! [/B]

Amen brother, I am amazed how fast he is when it's tight. I can't hang with him in that stuff, my old age just seems to shine through and I watch his blinkers fade off in the distance.

Loctite

Jun 1, 2001
Hello All - I agree with the post on using a taller gear. I do like the tight stuff, but with the suspender mod's I made to the DRZ I hope to keep up with you guys in the whoops. Think spring!

Top Bottom