mykski2

Feb 26, 2006
I'll be heading up to Onaway state park next week and hope to ride some of the trails up in that area. I've rode much of the Black Mountain loop a couple of years ago but didn't get to ride any of the Red Bridge trail or Bummers Roost. That was back in my quad days. So, has anyone been up in that area lately? How are the trails? I know thats its a little off the beaten path up their, so will the trail be marked somewhat decent?
Thanks,
Mike

bbarel

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 13, 2003
Have not rode there in a few years, but I like bummers roost east side. The west side of the road is whooped. Red Bridge is less technical, and whooped, but still fun. Make sure you look at the map and hit the small loop on Red Bridge. That is the best part. I think they put on a 2-track road for a little ways to get to the extra loop.

Jake 76

Sep 17, 2004
I rode Bummer's Roost and Red Bridge a couple of weeks ago. If you look whoops whoops and whoops then you'll love Red Bridge. If you don't like constant whoops, I'd stay away. The east loop of Bummer's Roost is more of the same. The west loops though was in real good shape though.

bbarel

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 13, 2003
Yeah I got my east and west sides mixed up. Woodsy must be rubbing off on men. Anyhow, Jake is right the WEST side of Bummers roost is the best trail up there.

mykski2

Feb 26, 2006
Thanks for the info. Seems anymore that all we have to ride in this state is whoops. I just can't seem to time it when they groom the trails. Besides, it gives me a chance to try out the suspension on my new to me KTM250. So far, its way better than the ole XR600. If things get to bad, I'm plated, so I'll just run fire roads.
Mike

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
bbarel said:
Yeah I got my east and west sides mixed up. Woodsy must be rubbing off on men. Anyhow, Jake is right the WEST side of Bummers roost is the best trail up there.

Folks,,,,, this is a PERFECT example of why its important to not only give verbal commands but also supply people with written instructions... Bbarel has already forgotten the ol Sun on the shoulder routine - and he was well trained too... :rotfl:
Woodsy :ride:

mykski2

Feb 26, 2006
INCA said:
And spoil the adventure?

INCA,, I'm getting a little to old to be pushing the bike back to camp. Also, I see you have a 250 KTM in your posession. What kinda mileage can I expect?
Mike

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Somehow I think myski2 has not met our young friend yet?

Myski - Incas 250 is a 4 stroke, so your milage may vary! I get from 50/55 ish to 60 (once got 62) on a tank on my 250 depending on how I am riding.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
KTM Mike said:
I get from 50/55 ish to 60 (once got 62) on a tank on my 250 depending on how I am riding.

Is it "50/55 ish to 60" before you have to switch to reserve or is it "50/55 ish to 60" and then the long walk begins?

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
BadgerMan said:
Is it "50/55 ish to 60" before you have to switch to reserve or is it "50/55 ish to 60" and then the long walk begins?

Yes :p

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Sorry - could not help the smart a$$ response first. !!!

62 is after reserve, but before the walk. (that is with some pretty easy trail riding sorta pace). When really riding mellow with the kids, have done 65 before reserve. At a (for me) race pace - have done 55 onto reserve, then again, done around 60 before reserve? 50... into reserve with some pretty hard riding. Your mileage will vary!

Generally, I do manage 60 before reserve when just trail riding so that is what I plan on. Races I dont worry about the mileage, as gas stops are always well before I need to worry. I have not had to walk yet!

mykski2

Feb 26, 2006
60 mile to empty sounds pretty good to me KTM Mike. I did 70 with my son on 4 wheelers a couple of years ago and that was cause we got kinda lost. And no, I'm really not that old, but I'm still not real thrilled about walking to far, especially in full riding gear.
Mike

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom