2stroke

Nov 7, 2001
I recently aquired an early KX 400 and I am planning to work it somewhat differently than I ususally do....

I race two stripped down enduro models, preston petty fenders, that kind of thing.

With the KX, I want to preserve the original equipment as much as possible...it is a racer as it is, and I was lucky enough to get one that had darn near every piece of original equipment on it still. I dont want to go "all out" and restore it, but I have some questions about a few things...

The fenders, they are dark...maybe they used to be black, but the color is a little faded. They have a sort of bisque finish or surface..not smooth...there are no scratches or gouges. Whats a good way to bring back the color? Is there a polish or a glaze or wax or something?

THe seat is almost perfect, save for two very small tears, less than a half an inch...I seem to remember some cheesy vinyl repair kits on TV years ago where you could put a patch on and iron it into place...is there anything like that out there that 'really really' works? Or, whats the best way to address small tears?

The gas tank is steel, and at some point some yahoo spray painted over the metallic lime green. Its still under there, I can see the decals. What would be the best way to remove cheap spray paint while leaving the original finish intact? I dont imagine the original paint is in great shape or anything, but Id like to see whats under there.

Thanks in advance!

Britt Boyette

Aug 16, 2004
The fenders are most likely sun faded and may be brittle. I would check with www.nightmare-racing.com or DC plastics for replacements.
As for the tank, try rubbing compound and slowly remove the top coat of paint. It will be slow and take some time but it will work.
As for the seat cover, cheap repair kits always look like crap and never last on a MX bike. Nothing works as well as a replacement seat cover. www.vintage-suzuki.com sells them for $50.
These bikes are becoming more rare by the day. As for this one, you may want to consider doing a first class restoration job on as it will command a hefty sum when it comes time to sell it.

sdm

May 14, 2003
Britt gives some good advice... I think that before I used the rubbing compound I would try some acetone on the gas tank. Sometimes rattle can paint can be removed fairly easily with that
but it shouldn't attack the original paint hopefully. I would try it on a small corner somewhere first
however.
I have used some very fine sand paper like 400 or 600 grit on an old Yamaha IT plastic gas tank
to get the color to come back some. It never did come back like new but it got alot of the oxidation
off. Then I used polish to bring it back even more. Replacement would probably be the best option however.
Sam

Jan 23, 2006
try some gas on that tank, alot of spray bomb colours are not gas resistant, but your stock paint is!! You can also repaint it and wash it down with thinner. The new spray paint should wrinkle and lift the old, then just wipe it off with thinner. As for the fenders, sounds like they are done. Locate some good ones, and keep em safe! Sand the old ones smooth, and paint them with krylon

jtricer1973

Jul 4, 2005
I don't think you will be able to do much with that old beater. I would be glad to haul it off for you though, (lol) Just kidding, I am jealous. I want one of those old Kawi's so bad but they have become very hard to find. I agree with the others.I would do a complete restoration on it but thats me. I think the 75 had white fenders on it but could be mistaken. Check nightmare racing.They have some awesome stuff.

Congrats on the bike and good luck.

2stroke

Nov 7, 2001
Eeee gads. Did some work on the tank tonight. Had to resort to a chemical stripper....the lightest action I could find. The end result....presentable anyway. I think the paint must have been really nice before the spray job. I screwed it up a little bit during the process but, Id take it to the track this way anyway.

The fenders are nice, not brittle at all. Just a tad faded. GOnna try some wax or something. If I had the $$$$ I would buy all new parts but hey what can I do. :)

Given my current cash flow and the top end work it needs, its not gonna be out there on the track this season anyway.

Top Bottom