Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
The kids have a tournament Sat and moms working so Im out this weekend. I guess Ill be riding from the house if I get to ride at all. Have fun guys

Tree

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 26, 2000
We had a great weekend. The weather was awesome and the riding was even better. The first day (Thurs.) me and my buddy Dan got there around 8:00am and set up as Steve pulled in a short time later. Me, Jr. and Steve did some riding on the track across from the campground along with a small loop. Nothing too adventureous for the first day, but we had fun. That night another buddy (Jim) showed up. he brought a KX125 for Dan to ride as he currently owns one of those training wheel things (qu*d). :| But, after this weekend I think I have him convinced to buy a bike. :thumb:

On Fri. morning we decide to take the trails over to quail Valley to see the MX Track. Scar and family showed up as we were gearing up but decided to pass on the ride so he can take his son to the mini track. It was a fun ride and we had a good conversation with a group the was renting out the track for the day and then headed on back. We throw a little lunch down, do some bench racing, and decide to take another short ride with Scar this time before he has to leave for the day. We do it GP style by doing a loop around the track across from the campground then hit the Tataviam trail and back to camp. It was really short, it took only about 20mins. but scar had to get going. Before it got dark we decided to play around on the small no name trails outside of camp. We head through the tight manzanita trails that cover the hillside. This is where me and Steve both bruised our arms on a limb that was sticking out into the trail. On mine it caused me to stall my bike on a pretty tight up-hill trail, but my son who was following me just passed on by and took over the lead (he must have learned something during the Phelan ride) untill it ran into the Backbone trail were we turned around and headed back down. That night we had a great time around the campfire as Steve was mixing drinks and we had a rousing political debate that everyone seemed to enjoy.

Sat. morning while I'm nursing a pretty good hangover, one of Steve's buddies (Scott), shows up. Then Greg (oldnslo) and Eric (eel) arrive so, we get ready to endure the tourture that is the forest trails. After making sure everyone has extra water and fuel for the two strokes we head out. Eric starts off in the lead but before we even hit the trailhead we need to regroup because as I passed under a bush a limb pops the top off the water bottle full of gas I am holding in my camelbak for one of the two stroke guys. After getting the lid back on we head on our way. We start off on the Tejon trail and head past the Arrasta trail, as we are saving that monster for the way back. This is were Greg took the lead. They were doing sound checks at the intersection, but they didn't bother with us. It was along the next section of course that I had a spectacular get off that nobody was close enough to witness. :ugg: I took a corner a little wide and there where two trees I tried to make it through but the handle bars hit one and I proceded foreward hitting my chest on the tree then landing flat on my back on the trail. A little sore but, good to go, I headed on as the next rider approached. I think everyone made it with no more problems until we turned around and headed back up the Arrasta trail, I saw my buddy Dan wipe out there and was told Jim took a digger too. That trail had a narley switch back section that lead to a small rock face that had to be climbed. I was the third in line up that section after a couple of stalls I made it (thanks KTM for the e-start). We rested just beyond this point where we continued to hear engins stop as everyone else reached this section. After a brief rest we head to the top of the mountain. It was cool to see there is still some patches of snow. We head past the tower and rest at the entrance east fraiser trail as Eric is not behind us at this point. Greg takes off to look for Eric and returns a short time later with him. Seems his back tire came off the rim but he manged to get it back on and catch up. Eric took off first down the trail as he wanted to get back to his truck and into town to get it fixed. That trail was breath taking and the veiw was awesome but having to look at all the switchbacks heading down the mtn. it didn't give you much time to enjoy it. Once down the mtn. and heading back to camp Steve friend Scott took a pretty good digger in front of me, but he dusted off an made it back. That night was an early night as everyone was beat from that ride. All my buddies were impressed with how fast Eric and Greg can run those trails.

Sun. everyone took off so me and jr just tooled around the hills outside of camp which was really all I could do after the day before. :)

Great time as always, see you again soon. :yeehaw:

Last edited:

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
Great report, sounds like everyone took turns taking dirt samples at one point or another. Just like DRN's to share the responsabilities :laugh:

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Eric's tire is always popping off the rim. Could it be that the rim is severly bent? Or his desire to save wieght by not using rim locks? He had teh same thing happen at the D37 event.

As for the riding, it was good as it always is. It reminded me of how hard packed that area is. For the VCMC race I'm going to remember to soften up the suspension. We ahd a good time with the group, I spent most of the day with Jake on the mini track. after about 25-30 laps, my wife asks "is he ever going to come off" I reply " well he'll run out of gas eventually." It was great to see as he's only 5. He was all fired up because he figured out he could pass some people and would yell out who he passed. It was great fun.

I did some much needed bike testing, jetting suspesion etc. as I live at sea level and ride much higher up. We cut out around 4:30. Thanks to Tree, Steve and Dan for grabbing a good spot. Although those nearby RV salesman were kind of pushy :laugh: JK

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
scar tissue said:
Eric's tire is always popping off the rim. Could it be that the rim is severly bent? Or his desire to save wieght by not using rim locks? He had teh same thing happen at the D37 event.

I thought somthing was goofy with EE's GG's rear wheel, I commented to him at the last TWMC event. it looked kinda like this :eek:

Wish I could have been there, I havent seen the forest trails for many years.

Pvt Joker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 29, 2002
Great report Tree.

Makes me think I'd have rather been there camping & riding with you than camping out in crappy weather at the beach... well maybe anyway...

oldandslo

Aug 29, 2001
Great write up Tree. We ended up going 40 miles. I think I told you guys it was 45 miles. Your 2 stroke buddies should of made it with gas to spare. I was pretty sore Sunday. I'm good for one day of riding then need 3 days to recuperate.

I had a blast and look forward to riding with the San Diego chapter again.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Awesome ride report Tree. Almost like being there.

I was planning on coming up to join you guys, but my daughter decided to pick that weekend to present us with a brand new grandbaby.

Anyone got a PW50 for sale???

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
CONGRATS ! I've no PW 50 ... but I got a Husky 125 I've been trying to hock for months now. You could always lower it ... you're handy that way !

Top Bottom