sbalram

May 29, 2002
I'm new to the dirt, and I'm looking for areas close by where I can learn to ride. I live around the 635/35 intersection and have been making the occasional trip to RedRiver and RockyRidge, but I keep wondering if there isin't a closer area just for goofing off where I won't get busted.

Any suggestions, folks? No MX for now, Thanks.

darnjr

Jul 5, 2001
This may sound crazy to some people, but if you want to ride a variety of terrain and in places where you might otherwise never get to ride, join TORO and race the winter season. Just because it's called a race doesn't mean you have to go out and kill yourself or get run over.
If I wasn't committed to racing, I'd probably never make the time to go ride.
IN any case, you might try Marshall Creek or that place in the Colony. Riding areas are getting harder and harder to come by.

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
Muenster/Rocky Ridge are the closest. Muenster is a great place to learn due to various types of trails - spend the time/effort and hone your skills out there.

Like darnjr said try a TORO event and ride it - DON'T worry about everyone else. A friend of mine recently started riding enduro's and that is what I told him. Relax and learn the basics and when you feel ready start competing :thumb: .

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
you are actually pretty close to Shady Grove, which is really more of a recreational MX park. Nothing really serious going on there but a fun place to ride. Unfortunately I heard it's pretty much underwater right now. :(

psycho

King Rot-Gut
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2000
I was at Shady when the rain started on Friday.... Was sure slick, have to go check it out tomorrow and see how much water is out there now. Might have to find somewhere else to go for the weekend....

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
There is also Lavonia park. It's small but it's a fun place to ride for a few hours. It's only about 45 min from where you live. It's out on Hwy 78 by Lake Lavon. No cost to ride there, but it's usually swamped out after the rain.

Watch out at Marshall Creek. Last time I was there (a couple of years ago), the trails weren't marked, and everything including 4x4's are allowed in there. Do some searches for TX riding areas, and you'll turn up a bunch of places.

Last edited:

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
another favorite place of mine is across the border........lake murray. its free and beginner friendly. from my door its only 10 more min. than going to red river. if there are kids involved in your rides, this is the place to break em in trail riding. i live on 35 in denton. best time to go here is after a rain. another great place is twin hills ranch in bridgeport. big open grass fields to goof off in and some pretty good single track too. best of all, its not crowded. it is closed during the winter due to deer hunting but will open up in mid jan or so. do a search for goplayinthedirt. it has most of the local riding and track info.

P

Paraboone

Polaris400

Hello ; Rocky ridge is probably the best so far. I went to bridgeport/Twin hills and was the only one there. Nice place with lots of open terrain. Porta poties/trash cans.$10.00 entry per person. Rocky ridge also $10.00 per person. Marshall creek is now owned by the city/Roanoke, so they are only allowing dirtbikes or ATV's there, no more 4-wheel drive trucks ect.But they are cleaning the place up and fixing the t
rails.Be aware when it rains you will get stuck, I promise you.
If anyone cares to go, I am always looking to go somewhere new or with friends. I did not like going alone last time kinda erie.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom