kprasek

May 19, 2009
I have a rm 80 with a cylinder bore of 49.15mm. I was wodering if a 49mm piston will be fine for it. The bikes been honed already so all i need to do is get a piston for it. So will a 49mm be good or will o need a biger piston and hone it again?

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
you will need a bigger piston and hone for it... i will doubt any manufacturer make a piston for 49.15 mm cylinder.
check pro-x for oversized in small steps... wiseco have a nice range of pistons also...

0.15 mm clearance between piston and cylinder is too much... most manufacturers recomend something like 0.05mm... check your service manual for proper clearances and specs

JGrossijr

Dec 29, 2004
Pistons are typicaly made for a given bore size. Pistons of different materials and design require different clearances. A wiseco piston that size generally requires .002" clearance. If you put a piston designed for a 49 mm bore in to a cylinder with a 49.15 mm bore you will have aproximately .007" clearance. It will run, but not as good as if the fit was correct, and it will need a rebuild sooner. You will probably hear more piston noise while riding.

Top Bottom