roostpounder

Jan 23, 2008
Hi guys, new to the site, and hoping somebody out there can help me out! Looking to pick some brains here, hoping to find some tech info. I have aquired over the years, many many parts in my shed.

I was given the option today to purchance a rolling 2002KX85 for a great price. Only thing missing is the motor. Only problem is, the bike is a 9 hour drive :(
I have, in my collection of parts, an 03, 04, & 05 RM85 motors complete. I recently put a 97KX100 motor into a 2003RM100 frame. Everything lined up except 1 of the front mounts from the frame to the cylinder head.

I know Kawi & suzuki merged in some aspects a few years back. My question, will any of my motors fit into this frame without serious modifications?

any help would be appreciated.
I look forwad to responses and help, and looking forward also to being a member here on DRN!

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I would imagine there would have to be modifications. "Serious" depends on how handy you are with a welder and if you are good at lining up the intake tract.

The Kawasaki/Suzuki merger meant the KX100 got some yellow plastic and they called it an RM100. Both manufacturers made their own 85, though, so I would imagine things won't quite line up.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
XRpredator said:
I would imagine there would have to be modifications. "Serious" depends on how handy you are with a welder and if you are good at lining up the intake tract.

The Kawasaki/Suzuki merger meant the KX100 got some yellow plastic and they called it an RM100. Both manufacturers made their own 85, though, so I would imagine things won't quite line up.
I thought (and very well could be wrong) isn't the KX85 and KX100 engine the same except for the displacement? That would make those engine mounts the same. Then the RM 100 would have the same mounts also?

griffbones

Sep 12, 2006
The KX85 & KX100 engines are the same, the RM100 is the same as the KX85 & KX100, but the RM85 is a completely different bike. Suzuki used the KX100 as their RM100 but built their own RM85.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
griffbones said:
The KX85 & KX100 engines are the same, the RM100 is the same as the KX85 & KX100, but the RM85 is a completely different bike. Suzuki used the KX100 as their RM100 but built their own RM85.
OK that is where I wasn't sure. It makes sense then that the RM85 is the odd duck (a fast one at that) in the lineup

Top Bottom