some help needed on shocks for a 1970 Honda

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Ok - this is not what most of us would consider a "real dirt bike", but maybe some one here can help me out.

I am working on a 1970 Honda CL100. I am planning to have some paint work done on it, part of which is painting the little "toppers" on the top of each shock absorber (they look like a small cup that is slid down over the top of the shock). My problem is I cant get the stinkin shocks apart to remove the covers for paint!

Typically, you compress the spring, and a notched collar can be removed with the shock shaft passing through the notch. On these shocks, there is no such notched collar! I thought that maybe there was a lock nut on the shaft, that if loosened would allow the shock top eye to be removed. So, I compressed the spring...waaaaay down such that about 3 1/2" of shaft was exposed. Nothin! Just a suprisingly large shaft ( around 3/4" in diameter), that goes right into the top shock mount. So, I thought it might be on the other end - again I compress it from the other end - I see the same diameter of shaft going into the chromed base of the shock. NO evidence what so ever of threads going into the top or base - nothin!

I am totally lost as to how this shock was assembled! All i can see as a possibility, is at the base of the spring, there is a small round collar that moves when you compress the spring from that end. When the spring is released, that collar rests against the round ring on the chromed base of the shock - that ring appears to have been tack welded or something to the base of the shock. All I can figure is that the topper, spring etc. was put onto the shock, that round ring was put in place then tacked in...though it is chromed so I dont know if that makes sense either!

HELP! Any suggestions appreciated!

Mike

OHIOMOTOXER

May 9, 2002
You will need to unscrew the shock top from the shaft (If you havn't already figured that out) it is then removable by removing a large "C" ring from under the cover.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Thanks Ohio... you are close...but not quite there! I ended up figuring it out - it is the bottom eye that unscrews. I would have sworn no way, no how was that it. There is the chromed base that then comes into the bottom eye. At the bottom of that chrome base, it appears like it was welded and or sorta press/crimp type fit onto the bottome eye. NOPE>... i got looking at it could figure out it has to be the bottom - padded the jaws of the vice grips, grabbed the chrome part, the eye very easily unscrewed from the shaft! Then simply a matter slide off the chrome base, spring, and viola! the little topper came off!

Top Bottom