Steel wool for silencer packing?

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
I've heard now and again of people using steel wool as silencer packing instead of fiberglass.
Is this a good idea or a bad idea? It seems like it wouldn't clog as fast (on a 2-Stroke) but it also seems like it wouldn't absorb the sound as well, but who knows.

I don't want to try it first because its a pain to repack my silencer again if it never works. The Doma silencers are I swear press fit, the only way I can pull it apart is if I heat up the outer aluminum cannister and then pound it for 10 minutes. :ohmy:

RoostRider

Uhhh...
Aug 24, 2004
hmmm, I've heard of people stuffing steel wool into the end of the pipe to get past the db meter at the OHV parks, but not as a principle packing.

It seems like it would degrade pretty quickly, but maybe not once it was soaked in oil from a poorly jetted bike. :)

Anyone ever tried this?

reelrazor

Jun 22, 2004
Steel wool will keep heating up until it gets red hot and will get tossed out the exhaust as hot particles. When we were poor kids, my friends and I used to stuff our car exhausts with steel wool in order to get our 'loud exhaust' tickets cleared(really quiet if you pack the crap out of the rusting-off tailpipe and hurry up and get a cop to sign off the ticket). It only lasts a little while.

I would also worry about the return wave tossing chunks of hot metal back in the combustion chamber.

Besides, isn't steel wool about twice as expensive as fibregalss?

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I did it when i was young-it worked for a while and sounded different, the new 4 strokes have this packing as well as normal packing so it can be used but maybe not on its own.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Steel wool will get oil/fuel soaked and can eventually ignite. If you are on a budget, plain old fiberglass insulation makes more sense.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Junkie, you make a great point about igniting. That would really suck.

I am going to buy a spark arrestor to prevent that!

If I have to pack on and dont want to spend any money, I use furnace filter fiberglass. I use "used" filter fiberglass. It lasts as well as anything and sounds ok.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
I also use R-13 insulation for my silencer packing, it is as quiet as the motorcycle stuff and it seems to last as long in a 2-Stroke. I believe that a 4-Stroke would blow it out quickly.

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
I would expect the steel wool would burn- the steel packing used in some muflers is not as fine.

But regular glass packing works fien withjout the risk of incineration.

Top Bottom