kawaguy

Jan 12, 2005
hi there guys, i took the top end off my 1999 kx125 and when i put it back on the stud (double threaded bolt) that is screwed into the engine case started to strip, i pulled out the stud and saw it had threaded inside the case(dam japanese die-cast), i crapped myself, i dont no what to do, i was told to use a heli-coil, but am affraid it will just strip again, is there some type off glue or sothing that i can put on the stud after i use the heli-coil to stop it from stripping, or a strong type of glue that will jus hold the stud in strong without using a heli-coil, is it possible to weld it in or wat, ive got a 3 day ride coming up soon so any replies will be greatly appreciated, thanks

Speedfreek

Nov 3, 2003
a heli-coil insert will be stronger then the original threads if installed properly. If you've never done one take it to a machine shop and have them do it for you.It shouldn't be too exspensive

kawaguy

Jan 12, 2005
does the heli-coil insert go right to the bottom of the thread, i have looked at the heli-coil inserts on the net and they are only short(about 10-15mm) the hole that they need to go into is about 30mm deep, or do they come in a long size and you cut them to the desired length, also what stops the heli-coil insert from turning around in the hole as the instructions say not to thread it to the bottom of the thread hole, and is the metal in the engine case to soft, i seems like if i torque the bolts they will pull up the heli-coil insert and destroy the thread, should i use permenant heat resistant loctite, is there any other thread inserts on the market that work better than a heli-coil insert, or maybe an insert that has some sort of teeth on it that hold it in place, i just dont want to strip the thread again, i may sound paranoid but this is really bugging me,
cheers

viking20

Sponsoring Member
Aug 11, 2002
A heli-coil will work just fine , if it is installed properly ....
Like it was said , it will be stronger than the original thread.
And , using the right tools the thread will be deep enough.
You dont have lean on the tools to tighten these things properly you know.
Cylinder stud bolts/nuts can be difficult to reach with a torque wrench and socket , but the correct torque is usually around 20-25 nm .....

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
Use a helicoil as suggested. I have used them with much success - they don't back out - you will be able to screw the bolt in/out with the insert installed.

mobrown

Jan 26, 2004
Heli-coil!

Heli-coils are the way to go. I used to design rocket motor components and tooling for assembling them . A lot of aluminum is used in the tooling and components and we would NEVER use the base material (aluminum) for bolt threads. We would always install heli-coils because they are waaaay stronger and do not lose strengh as temperarures increase.

Like Speedfreak said, if you don't know how to do it just take it to a machine shop... it will not cost very much and will be $$ well spent.

Good luck :cool:

kawaguy

Jan 12, 2005
yea but its the metal that the heli-coil is threaded onto that is soft, if the bolts are to tight will it rip the heli-coil from the case?

viking20

Sponsoring Member
Aug 11, 2002
The material you will use the heli-coil in will hold a stud that is tightened to the correct torque , why shouldnt it be strong enough for the heli-coil ?
It will work just fine !

Top Bottom