Stuttering when i open the throttle

W0lvEriNE

Sep 6, 2004
Hey Guys! I am frustrated! :aj:

I recently bought a second hand 97 kdx200. The bike wouldnt kick start. So I have changed the plug, cleaned out the carb with some carb cleaner etc. Now the bike kick starts fine. The bike idles fine. It revs fine in neutral. But when i ride it as soon as i open up the throttle (prob to about 50%) it starts to stutter and shake and wont accelerate any more and begins to die. If i let the throttle up it comes back to life.. but still only at low revs.

Please help! I dont know what could be causing this! I test rode the bike 10 days ago and it didnt have this problem - what could be causing it ? and how do i go about fixing it?
(as a side matter - how can i get at the carburetor to open it up to clean the Jets ?)

Thanks guys
W0lvEriNE :p
South Africa

kdxtaz

~SPONSOR~
Mar 29, 2002
Probably a long shot, but......
exhaust restriction? I had a mouse make a nest in my pipe once after it sat for a while. The bike acted just as you are describing.

Oh, sorry. Just re-read your post. Mine wouldn't rev in nuetral, either.

reelrazor

Jun 22, 2004
W0lvEriNE said:
Hey Guys! I am frustrated! :aj:

(as a side matter - how can i get at the carburetor to open it up to clean the Jets ?)

Thanks guys
W0lvEriNE :p
South Africa

Cleaning the carb is prolly NOT a side matter. It is likely THE matter. Your description, especially the 'revs fine in neutral' part tells me that you have almost certainly picked up some junk in the carb(needs more fuel under load than neutral).

If you have a decent amount of mechanical ability, you can probably clean the carb alone with a manual. But, if you have never done it, and need to ask how to "get at" the carb, I would suggest that you try to find someone local who will walk you through it.

W0lvEriNE

Sep 6, 2004
Hey Reel

Thanks alot, i am gonna take it to a guy to get him to service the whole damn thing.

By "get at the carb" - i am just nervous about disconnecting the petrol tank etc to be able to gain decent access to the carb. Thanks again - will let you know what happens. Cheers.

Top Bottom