ZOOK250

Oct 5, 2001
Hi. does anyone here know how to properly wind the kick starter spring on a jr 50. i have had to replace the clutch side engine case and i can see how the spring is mounted to keep tension on the starter lever , but i am unsure on how to do it . any help would be appreciated.

thanks

ZOOK250

Oct 5, 2001
if anyone has had this problem please let me know. the kick stater lever will work properly if the bolts on the case are hand tight. the minute i tighten them with a screwdriver the kick starter lever will not spring back into place. i have to manually do it.

thanks

Bob Dammit

Apr 19, 2006
Evidently, we need to buy a more fasionable bike for our kids. Any of the recent questions about the jr50 usualy has some kind of a smart assed answer, or is ignored. I have purchaced the shop manual, and should recieve it in a couple days. I will check for you, and get back as soon as I recieve the manual.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Bob Dammit said:
Evidently, we need to buy a more fasionable bike for our kids. Any of the recent questions about the jr50 usualy has some kind of a smart assed answer, or is ignored. I have purchaced the shop manual, and should recieve it in a couple days. I will check for you, and get back as soon as I recieve the manual.

You shouldn't assume a question is ignored if it is not answered. There are plenty of JR 50s out there, but most people don't take them apart unless the absolutely have to. They can't answer a question that they don't have an answer to.

ZOOK250

Oct 5, 2001
from reading all the jr50 posts on this site , i think a lot of people have done the second gear mod. that means alot of people would have had to deal with the reinstallation of the kickstarter mechanism. this is a direct problem related to the ever popular 2nd gear mod. someone has to have some idea!!!!!

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
As I recall, I had a bit of difficulty with that when I did ours, but I was smart enough to figure it out for myself. :)

The manual doesn't give any special instructions. Sorry.

Bob Dammit

Apr 19, 2006
According to the manual, you connect one end of the spring to the case, and the other end into the back of the stopper.

After re-reading your post, I get the impression you are having troubles with the stop bolt (17mm bolt behind the kickstart). The procedure for that is:

- Turn the kick starter shaft counter clockwise, and watch for the kick starter stopper through the bolt hole.
- Tighten the kick starter bolt when the stopper has passed the hole. The kick starter return spring will then work properly.
- Install the kick start lever properly.

I marked mine with chalk before I removed the kickstart. If you did not mark the kicker and shaft for reinstallation, the foot rest of the kickstart lever should be horizontal (when the motor is installed.)

Good luck!

I bought my manual on ****. They have several for sale, and alot cheaper than the $45 for a new one. Keep your eyes open, and you can get a deal on one.

Edit: I guess you cant name that online auction site that rhymes with flea-day

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Vic said:
The manual doesn't give any special instructions. Sorry.

Hmmm. Guess I was wrong about that. I only have part of the manual. It shows the assembly and has instruction on how to remove, but not replace. That part must be in a different section.

Anyway, hopefully Bob's post will help.

And no, you can't say E B A Y. :)
(Too many people linking to their auctions.)

ZOOK250

Oct 5, 2001
thanks guys, zook50 will really appreciate all your help in getting his 50 going. his buddy's dad just bought him a bike and he wants to go riding bad.

Bob Dammit

Apr 19, 2006
Vic said:
Hmmm. Guess I was wrong about that. I only have part of the manual. It shows the assembly and has instruction on how to remove, but not replace. That part must be in a different section.

Anyway, hopefully Bob's post will help.

And no, you can't say E B A Y. :)
(Too many people linking to their auctions.)

OK, thats fine with the auction site, I understand. As for the instructions, they ARE burried in the manual... I found it when I was in the shop, but I had to read the manual twice when I was at home infront of the computer. I am just waiting on my clutches from psep, and will hopefuly be able to try the first gear out. :cool:

Top Bottom