Magellan

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 14, 2001
My almost 10 year old is getting a bit tall for his CRF70. He also doesn't like the shift pattern as he sometimes forgets he's already in first and down shifts to neutral.

So, I am considering selling the CRF70 and upgrading him to an 80. That gets him larger tires and maybe taller bars (not sure there). It also gets him a 1-down shift pattern and clutch. A bit more power as well, though I doubt he'll notice. Cost is probably about $200 - $500 depending on what I can get for his bike (low hours and clean) and what I can find used.

Option 2 is to pick up a crf80 engine, some bar risers, and a larger rim and lace his hub to it. Cost is probably about the same, depending on what I can get an engine for.

What would you do?

Dirtjunkie85

Mar 2, 2010
Why deal with the hassle of getting the bike set up with the 80 motor when you can just sell the bike and get an 80 that's all good to go. If you go through all that work he's just going to grow out of it, if you get an 80 it's a little be bigger and will probably fit him a little longer then the 70. That's just my opinion

HondaBrat

Jan 2, 2002
Or even the XR100. My 8 yr old boy can barely touch the ground on his 99 XR70 and he thinks he needs a KX65. The XR70 is nice but he wants a bike with a clutch.

Top Bottom