Status
Not open for further replies.

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Bottom Line?

Everyone has an opinion and ....Anyhoo, this started as a fun thread many moons ago. I was kinda happy it got started again but there's too many people with issues. Let's face it we all want to ride. Let's just say some like the scream of a pinger and some the grunt down low of a four banger. Personally I'd ride anything with two wheels that burns fossils. Who started on a briggs like me, LOL (40 years ago - ha ha). Now I'm torn up looking for a vintage racer and yea I want to race a pinger that's red and has a CR in there and is a 250 and is red, guess what that is. The whole thing about this thread is good fun, eh? Get out and :ride:

Saddle up!

crazy_man

N. Texas SP
Mar 2, 2005
even the little thumpers are loud i got the cops called on me for riding my tt-r 90!!!! of course it has no silencer and i was riding the snot out of it all day lol that thing is fun

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
crazy_man said:
even the little thumpers are loud i got the cops called on me for riding my tt-r 90!!!! of course it has no silencer and i was riding the snot out of it all day lol that thing is fun

And acting like that is what gives dirtbikes a bad name. :| :| :|

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
I am just now going back to four strokes....gimme a while to catch up.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Go easy on me :) Trader isn't so bad, at least you didn't say traitor :nener:

The ratio is still 3 to 1 and I am not convinced yet on the 4 strokes.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
mxer842 said:
Yes, but your attitude and disrespect is far more noticeable. :clue:

Uhh...Ok...... :|

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
Chris_S said:
Using the clutch will only lower tq. at any given rpm...it simply allows the engine to spin up to the meatier part of the powerband quicker.

You really don't need a dyno, torque is only part of the equation in real life. All you have to do is watch 2 and 4 strokes racing against each other. The guys on 2 strokes ARE feathering the clutch (sometimes) to get into the band, so even with a different, maybe dis-advantaged torque curve, the 2 stroke does well.

My take on it (maybe not the most original) is that it is legislation alone pushing the 4 for racing. The big company's pay to have premier riders endorse and ride 4's, either because they are being forced into it, or it is just made more profitable. This didn't just 'happen' because of preference or performance, but if you like 4's, then more power to you!!!!!!

Chief

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Burtonridr250 said:
What on Earth are you talking about? :coocoo: :laugh:
I see how it is. I got burned by not quoting....AGAIN. :ugg:

crazyYammi

Aug 31, 2004
I stand by my statement, and this illustrates what the problem is with using dynos to inerpret 'real' torque.

Torque graphs are always rpm vs torque.
In reality, I don't care what the rpm of the motor is, I only care about what the torque is at the rear wheel at a given moment.
In this case torque vs time is a more useful measure, and you would see that feathering the clutch would increase the 'torque per second' of a two stroke.

We are arguing semantics here but we can all agree that with proper clutch control it is easy to put he front wheel in the air.

Chris_S said:
Using the clutch will only lower tq. at any given rpm...it simply allows the engine to spin up to the meatier part of the powerband quicker.

OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
4 stroke bikes are obviously better than 2's as evidenced by the rapid changeover on the starting gate. Soon there will be no 2 stroke bikes in the field.
The question now is... what will they call the 125cc class when all the bikes are 250cc and all the 250cc class bikes are 450's? They can't change the name of the class 'cause then a 2 stroke bike might show up! Maybe they can just hold out until there are no 2 stroke bikes in production?
Hang on to your 250cc 2 smokers boys, they may come in handy someday!
I rue the day that NASCAR requires only Chevys to use restrictor plates. I think that in that situation, if it took Chevy several seasons to fade from the field it would be a testiment thier performance.
Don't you?

GhostRider32

Feb 10, 2004
OldTimer said:
4 stroke bikes are obviously better than 2's as evidenced by the rapid changeover on the starting gate.

That's like saying V8's are always better that V6's because they win more races. I'ts the extra cubes that matter. Drag race a 350 V6(I know they don't make them comercially) against a 350 V8 and see who wins. I could be wrong but IMHO, the V6 will smoke the V8 assuming both motors were built basically the same. I.E. same cam profile, compression, ect...

For a four stroke to be competitive they MUST run nearly twice the displacement as a two stroke.

I like both 2 and 4 strokes but they serve different purposes. Can we quit comparing apples to oranges and just drop the argument before it goes on forever.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Umm... I'm thinking that the 350 V8 would smoke the 350 V6.

What is faster?
500 single cylinder or 500 twin? The twin is by a long shot.

OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
GhostRider32 said:
That's like saying V8's are always better that V6's because they win more races.
Did you read past the first sentence of the post?
See, my point is that they call it 125cc class and soon there won't be any 125's in it. How silly is that? :coocoo:

Last edited:

i_955

Dec 18, 2004
Studboy said:
Umm... I'm thinking that the 350 V8 would smoke the 350 V6.

What is faster?
500 single cylinder or 500 twin? The twin is by a long shot.

Please tell me that statement is incomplete.

Are you saying that the 500 Honda Ascott can whip a CR500???...

The 500 Ascott was a gutless piece of motor and I recall some single cylinder 500cc 4 stroke motocrossers back in the day that had major roosts coming from them etc...

A two cylinder might have better top end as the lighter pistons can change direction faster therefore have a higher max rpm bet the engine will ultimately weigh more and it is all about power to weight.

We shall soon see how the Aprilia V-Twin makes out in the dirt power wise.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
What I'm wondering is, how many $25 spark plugs does it take to make up the difference between the uber-expensive 4 stroke rebuild and the for-free 2stroke rebuild?

ZING!

elf

Jun 7, 2003
About 80 plugs. Of course if you know how to jet your bike you only need one.

Zing Zing!!!

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Man, I had this 14 cylinder 350 with this Comp Cams 268 EXTF4 cam, dude. Ran it against ma' buds' 350 4 cylinder 2 stroke. Deeeeeuuuuuuuddddeee!!!!! I rocked his ass, man! :coocoo:

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
i_955 said:
Please tell me that statement is incomplete.

Are you saying that the 500 Honda Ascott can whip a CR500???...

The 500 Ascott was a gutless piece of motor and I recall some single cylinder 500cc 4 stroke motocrossers back in the day that had major roosts coming from them etc...

A two cylinder might have better top end as the lighter pistons can change direction faster therefore have a higher max rpm bet the engine will ultimately weigh more and it is all about power to weight.

We shall soon see how the Aprilia V-Twin makes out in the dirt power wise.

You are comparing different technology. There are old 400 C.I. bigblocks that could barely crank 200 HP.

Are you saying that a CR500 (65 HP) motor can even COME CLOSE to a 100 HP 440cc twin snopro motor??? I think not.

GhostRider32

Feb 10, 2004
XRpredator said:
What I'm wondering is, how many $25 spark plugs does it take to make up the difference between the uber-expensive 4 stroke rebuild and the for-free 2stroke rebuild?

ZING!

I buy my plugs for $1.59 plus tax at the local O'reillys. I'll buy them there whether I'm riding a 2 or 4 stroke.

i_955

Dec 18, 2004
Studboy said:
Are you saying that a CR500 (65 HP) motor can even COME CLOSE to a 100 HP 440cc twin snopro motor??? I think not.

No,
Reading many of your posts I know the attention to detail you "normally" include. Seemed that something was amiss and the 100hp 440cc snopro summed it up...

And thank you Lord for 2 Strokes.
Amen...

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
He said Amen, so that means it's done. yay! :yeehaw:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom