cyprice

Mar 2, 2003
I went to Tooele last week and Jordan River yesterday and I found both to be in pitiful shape. Yesterday the front half of JR was practically under water while the back half was about 6in deep powdered silt. The take off ramps were nasty and the landing ramps full of deep holes. I didnt make a single lap without being sprayed in the face by a sprinkler. Tooele was similar last week but not quite as bad.
Does anybody know the people running this tracks? Would they listen if a few of us made some suggestions, maybe offered to help? I dont mind running down to delta and price on the weekends for good track time, but for those evening when I only have a couple of hours I would really like to see these tracks in a better state of repair. Any ideas?
Cy
PS Earlier in the year these track were crowded with people, yesterday there were 3 trucks in the parking lot of JR. You know the second JR stops pulling in funds, the state rangers will close that sucker down.

Last edited:

rwhitlock

Dec 11, 2002
So is it possible to buy a track and make a few bucks running it? Maybe a few guys can get together and make a new track or buy and existing one and keep it up the way it needs to be...

Just an idea..

Rod

motoxpress

~SPONSOR~
Oct 22, 2001
With Tooele it seems to be related to races. When they have a race coming up they will groom it up. I don't know about Jordan River. I still have not figured out who *really* runs that place. My brother and I have tried to get in touch with them but, no one wants to claim ownership and the one guy who seems to know won't return phone calls.

Personally, I think we really need a full on facility in the Salt Lake/Utah Valley area that really does more than just a track that get's groomed here and there. Tooele really is a good facility considering what they offer (multiple tracks, play area, benches with shade). But, we need something even more than that. There are places in CA and back east that offer something for everyone - trails and MX. Also, with supermoto starting to really takeoff, having access to some blacktop would be good as well.

I have been working the past few years on what it would take to bring a facillity with this potential online but, the biggest problem is not even the $ it's the location. It can't be too far or too close to civilization. It needs to be more than just a farmers field. If any of you are familiar with southern utah valley, to the north of the mouth of spanish fork canyon is the ideal location. There are trails there that will connect you with the a huge system as well as the great western trail. There is elevation change that would allow for the development of a track along the lines of Delta. The Trojan explosives facility is right next door so, no one will want to build houses there. Right off a major highway. It's perfect . I just don't know who owns it.

I am open to ideas and I think I could get the support of the dealers/industry as well. We just need a good plan.

MX

KenR

Feb 20, 2002
Cool idea about a facility near Spanish Fork Canyon.

Tooele has that new kart track that could be used for supermoto.

What ticks me off about the whole track condition thing is that we are already paying for these tracks to be there, to be operated and maintained via our OHV registration dollars. Riders in this area need to hold the government track operator (the State) accountable for their condition. I pay several hundred dollars each year to maintain Utah OHV registrations on all my familys toys and expect to see a return. I wasn't in Utah when the whole OHV registration thing got going, but wasn't that the deal?

motoxpress

~SPONSOR~
Oct 22, 2001
You are right Ken and it is frustrating to pay the $200+ every year so the ranger can stop my riding to check if I have my stickers on correctly. It's unfortunate and we really should do a better job at holding the legislature to their tasks. The enviormentalists do a good job of that so, we should be better as well.

JR was a great facility in it's prime. When they had the Friday night races, it was in top shape. I just get the feeling that the people who run it don't have a vision of what the facility is really for. They have some great potential there but, it's just being wasted.

The ironic thing is that we have such a active community of riders here and they would make $ handover fist if they would just take care of it.

GL

cyprice

Mar 2, 2003
The thing that is the most frustrating is that the problems with both of these tracks are easily fixed. A sprinkling system is in place at JR but the schedule is stupid and the heads are out of adjustment. In more than one place the water sprays over top of a dusty area and waters the weeds on the other side or 3 sprinklers water the same area causing standing mud puddles. They have the machinery needed for grooming sitting some 100ft from the track, unused.
I think they try to make Tooele a good track, but whoever is running the show obviously knows little about track construction or upkeep. The USRA pulled a race from Tooele due to saftey issues and moved it to Ogden (maybe that was the WildWest Series).
My fear is that people stop comming due to the state of the tracks, management assumes the interest is no longer there and they shut down to move the OHV money to a bird reserve or something.
I would like to become a member of the OCA, they seem to be pretty proactive in the motocross scene, but I cant get anyone to respond to emails.
BTW I heard from a neighbor with a Husaberg SM bike they are starting or have started races at the cart track in Tooele.
MXP have you sold your bike? If not, you interested in working out a deal to swap suspension?
Cy

motoxpress

~SPONSOR~
Oct 22, 2001
Well, somehow the message is not getting through to the track owners (except Delta maybe since they seem to do a good job in grooming but, have limited facilities)

I find that it's sad that we have to drive all the way out to Tooele to get a decent facility when there is such a large concentration of riders in the wasatch front. JR is just not making things happen.

Cyprice:I have not sold it yet but, would be a little hesitant to swap the suspenders. Send me an email and we can talk more.

MX

cyprice

Mar 2, 2003
I just got a notice in the mail saying the USRA has cancelled the Tooele race for this weekend. Anybody know why? I would assume it is the same reason the WildWest series pulled out, track safety. Anybody know for sure? I hate to see this happen, such a good facility if they would get someone who knows something about track construction and maintenance. 500-600 racers at $25 a day is a lot of revenue to lose. I hope someone there sees what is going on.
Cy

KenR

Feb 20, 2002
Does anyone have some contact names and/or numbers at any of these facilities? We need to crank up the noise about this a bit.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Jordan River is run by Chris Glass. He also runs the Salt Lake Marina and his office is out there. I don't have his number anymore. He is fairly receptive to quality suggestions. One thing that happens late in the year is the money from the state drys up, thus he can't buy manure and top soil to work into the track.

The only person I know that has info about OCA is Chad Wallwork. Call South Valley Motorsports (576-1899) and select sales, then ask for Chad.

I've heard that Posey's has been in good shape this summer.

Good luck guys.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
In Mississippi, near Memphis. Working on the property, trying to get it ready so we can move out there. I have started working on the track, just the general layout, no obstacles yet.

altagirl

~SPONSOR~
Mar 17, 2003
Originally posted by MX-727
Jordan River is run by Chris Glass. He also runs the Salt Lake Marina and his office is out there. I don't have his number anymore. He is fairly receptive to quality suggestions. One thing that happens late in the year is the money from the state drys up, thus he can't buy manure and top soil to work into the track.

Anyone know how to go about trying to get better funding for the track? I was out there on Saturday and would second all the comments written here. It was my second time at JR and conditions were a LOT worse than they were this spring. Still fun but you really have to be careful with the holes in the landings and stuff.

motoxpress

~SPONSOR~
Oct 22, 2001
The problem is that JR is state operated at this point so, they have little flexibility in how tey can generate funding .I wish they would get a private operator who was responsible to take it over and to the level the facility could reach. If money really is the problem, I think if they brought back the 'friday night races' they would have no $ problems at all. There are hundreds of riders in SLC and utah valley that would be there every time.

GL

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
What you should see at JR is, in October, funds will become available and he will start getting better soil to amend into the track. Now, I could be wrong as I haven't talked to him since I left in June. The State could be squeezing JR real hard this year.

Top Bottom