the ultimate woods/cross country fork

arjay

~SPONSOR~
Nov 19, 2002
I'm building a woods bike based on KX/KDX parts and was interested to see what forks people would recommend. It's a blank sheet at the moment - not sure whther to go conventional (45/46mm +) or USD (43/45mm +) and not sure what make to go for (KYB, Showa, Marzocchi, Paoli, Solva) Anything I buy would be reconditioned and revalved to suit. It would be good to get some feedback on your fave forks from the past or present. Budget is a consideration, can't quite stretch to new Ohlins...

KTM-Lew

Jan 26, 2002
The best "cheap" fork would be the 49mm conventional's on the DRZ400 IMO...if money isn't a problem the conventional Solva is the ultimate! The down-side to any of the older conventionals, like the KDX or XR's, is the underhang at the axle clamp. The DRZ doesn't have much underhang and the Solva has even less!

arjay

~SPONSOR~
Nov 19, 2002
Thanks Lew - DRZ is a good call. I think the biggest conventional fork KX triples were for 46mm tubes. Wonder if they could be safely machined to take the 49's?

Those DRZ look big - do you think they're any heavier than the USD's on new 125/250's?

KTM-Lew

Jan 26, 2002
arjay said:
Thanks Lew - DRZ is a good call. I think the biggest conventional fork KX triples were for 46mm tubes. Wonder if they could be safely machined to take the 49's?

Those DRZ look big - do you think they're any heavier than the USD's on new 125/250's?

I wouldn't try machining the stock cast KDX clamps...maybe the clamps for the inverted fork KDX could be used with adapter bushings? You just have to watch the dust wipers don't contact the lower clamp when the forks are bottomed. The DRZ (18mm offset) and older KX forks used a gull-wing style lower clamp for clearance. OH! You could use a set of clamps off a 97-99 250 up KTM. They were 50mm Zochs in 97 & WP Extremes with a gull-wing clamp (14mm offset) then you could use shim stock to adapt the tubes...

The DRZ forks are likely heavier by lb or so each leg than any modern USD. The Marzocchi Shivers that are on eGay ocassionally, old Cannondale stock, are VERY light...also pretty rough on quality, so...?

The DRZ are the most modern conventional I know of that are mass produced. With all the guys doing supermoto you should be able to find the DRZ forks over on your side of the pond?

Danger

Jan 15, 2004
Where in NZ are you arjay?
Lew, what do you know about the Cannondale Ohlins? I've got some but haven't pulled them apart yet, but looking for an excuse. They might suit a project bike like this if arjay is local and we could have a bit of a play with them.

KTM-Lew

Jan 26, 2002
Danger

Never had the C-Dale ohlins apart. They are a "cheap" version though from what i've heard...I hope the Zochs they used were the cheap version too, cause the machining quality was bad.

arjay

~SPONSOR~
Nov 19, 2002
KTM-Lew said:
I wouldn't try machining the stock cast KDX clamps...maybe the clamps for the inverted fork KDX could be used with adapter bushings? You just have to watch the dust wipers don't contact the lower clamp when the forks are bottomed. The DRZ (18mm offset) and older KX forks used a gull-wing style lower clamp for clearance. OH! You could use a set of clamps off a 97-99 250 up KTM. They were 50mm Zochs in 97 & WP Extremes with a gull-wing clamp (14mm offset) then you could use shim stock to adapt the tubes...

The DRZ forks are likely heavier by lb or so each leg than any modern USD. The Marzocchi Shivers that are on eGay ocassionally, old Cannondale stock, are VERY light...also pretty rough on quality, so...?

The DRZ are the most modern conventional I know of that are mass produced. With all the guys doing supermoto you should be able to find the DRZ forks over on your side of the pond?

Lew, do you know what the offset of the 86 KX125 gullwing triples were? I'm guess it would have been generous to quicken up the steering on what is quite a raked out frame (27.5 degrees, 4.6 in trail, 57.5 in wheelbase). Do you think the triples off a 1998+ KX125 will work with the frame geometry? (I think 89 - 94 KDX's were 26.5 degrees rake, not sure what the later KX's were.)

Danger

Jan 15, 2004
Hey arjay, I got your email. Did you get my reply? I had some email problems the night I sent it (well I think my ISP had some problems that is).
I'll be doing the Greg Power ride at Woodhill this Saturday if you would like to catch up.

arjay

~SPONSOR~
Nov 19, 2002
Danger, nothing came through. Hope to see you Saturday, still rebuilding Husky top end, should be ready. If not drop me a line 021 897 002. Don't think emails via DRN will work cos I need to update my address. PM's should though. Cheers.

Danger

Jan 15, 2004
Just tried resending the email. Anyway my phone number is 0274 866 873.

Opps, just read you message again and it looks like your email address could be wrong?
I'll be out at Woodhill (Greg Power ride) on Saturday on my RM250 #291.

Top Bottom