tn_tuxedo

Oct 9, 2004
I am seriously thinking about entering in the 24 Hr. Challenge at Maplesville this summer in the Ironman class. I've been racing HS for about 10 years now and know its more than just a long HS, requiring ALOT more preparation.
Any Ironman/24 hr. vets out there with tips or horror stories?

zero_it

~SPONSOR~
May 20, 2000
I am a veteran of four 24-hour races over the years, all on 3 to 5 rider teams. With that experience, I'm determined to never go ironman at a 24-hour race! If you can hack it, that makes you a major tough-guy in my book. Since you're solo-ing it, no need to worry about rider changes and keeping track of everyone's schedule. A good pit crew is essential though. You WILL start to get dingy in the head at some point in time and forget when you last put gas in your bike, food in your belly and important things like that. Somebody looking out for you and your bike throughout the event is extremely helpful. You have to remember to eat good food throughout the 24 hours. Dinner is kind of hard to do/remember and seems a little weird at 2:00 a.m., but so is riding your dirt bike at that ungodly hour. Prepare for any and all weather and course conditions, a lot can change in 24 hours. Bring several changes of riding gear. It's amazing how a fresh set of gear can make you feel much better, especially if it's raining, muddy and crappy out. Have a source of heat in the pits to dry out your gear and yourself as required. Even with the best HID lights money can buy, a helmet light is imperative. You can swing your head around and look around corners, behind you or at your bike (for trailside repairs), the headlight can't do any of those things. When your engine dies, so does your headlight. I like to zip-tie a glow stick to my bike at night so I can find it quickly following a cartwheel or similar unfortunate event (and fellow riders don't piledrive into it!).

24-hour races are fun, generally a much more light-hearted atmosphere than at a typical hare scrambles. There are no championships associated with them, so no need to get real whipped up about what place you get. Just go out, challenge yourself and have a good time.

larosche

Apr 20, 2000
I scored the first two 24 hour races at Maplesville and have ridden the last 2 years as Ironman. The main thing about riding Ironman is to pace yourself. There are always a bunch of riders that ride really fast for 5 laps and are worn out.
Several riders have been using pillows on their seats and extra padding in their riding shorts. This is a REALLY good idea for an Ironman since your buns will never, ever be as sore as they will be as an Ironman.
Having a shower on your breaks after the day riding is a good idea. The clean riding gear helps lift your spirits. Also a fresh helmet at night is nice. You should have your lights already attached to the night helmet. Riding at night is VERY hard when you are already tired from the day riding. Since the race is in June the day is usually hot, but the nights can be nice and cool.

There are some VERY tough guys riding ironman. They basically ride the entire time except for meals and gas. Don't go and expect to win. Just ride it like your first Enduro...finish!

Good luck and I hope to see you there. Look me up.
Ed Larosche (RAD DAD)

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
TN_Tuxedo, you will have so much fun, you will be happy you did the race. I've raced three 24 hour events with 5-6 member teams in the past and I've gotten to know a few individuals who have raced the Ironman. Zero_It and larouche bring up all the important points, so I'll just second them.

Pit Crew is essential, you won't be able to think much especially when you get into the night hours. Have a calculator, notepads, stopwatch for your pit to keep track of your lap times. Walkie Talkies for your crew to speak to each other should one be at a checkpoint, etc.

Plan out your food choices, meal times. Bring energy food like red grapes and protein bars, etc. Uber hydrate the day before the race.

Fresh riding gear feels SO GOOD. You don't want to be putting back on muddy or sweaty/wet gear. Do this for your mental stamina. It WILL make a big difference.

Lighting is obviously very important! Make sure you have battery packs and backups charging for your next change, etc, don't overlook this. What bike are you racing? A stock headlight will NOT get you through, you'll need to ramp up to something more. I really like my Headhunter helmet light, it rocks. I've also used Cyclops with success, velcro'd to the top of my helmet. Some people had them get yanked off by tree branches, however, so know where your wires and cords are!

Will it get cold at night where you race? Make sure you plan for layering / warmth, as well as having the appropriate sleeping conditions. A gas space heater is necessary in your pit if it is cold. Being freezing cold is a downer!!

You should have a pit EZUP with tarping on three sides to keep out wind.

Coleman stove, lanterns, pit chairs, a small folding table, paper towels, blankets, cooking utensils, etc.

There is definitely a different atmosphere at a 24 hour event than at a regular Enduro or CC, etc. Its this huge cameraderie fest! The Ironmen competitors are held at a very high level of respect because of the sheer stamina and endurance, both mental and physical and everyone will be proud of you and cheer for you even if they don't know you. Have a great time!!

Here's a nice thread over on TT that has many other comments about preparation. CLICK!

zero_it said:
There are no championships associated with them, so no need to get real whipped up about what place you get. Just go out, challenge yourself and have a good time.

That is true. I had to laugh anyway. ;)

Last edited:

tn_tuxedo

Oct 9, 2004
Hey, thanks for the replies folks. I apreciate all the tips and encouragement. Most times when I mention Ironman I get nothing or sideways looks as if I'd just walked up and said "the giraffe has a long neck".
GETMETOCA- Thanks for the link. Good stuff. Ya know, I've seen some pretty funky headgear and start line chicken dances at races, but the image of a pink Power Ranger on a dirt bike is priceless.
Mr.Larosche, do you race MSWS or NATRA?

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
I've never been in a 24 hour, but before my first 100 mile desert race, a close friend of mine leaned over and said "Don't let the first five miles suck you in"......I didn't get it untill that first five miles was over. I rode like it was a 5 lap moto at the local MX track. I was passing fast guys, blasting the whoops...... It took me one whole lap(25 miles) to recover enough to start riding normal again..........Needless to say I didn't finish to well. So, my only advice to you is....."Don't let the first five miles suck you in..." YZ165

larosche

Apr 20, 2000
Mr. Tux.
I am a long time member of NATRA. I used to ride Desert when I live in California, then (after moving to Alabama in 1989) SETRA Hare Scrambles and Enduros. Later I started to ride Mid South regularly. NATRA has always put on a Mid South race.
I have been into the SERA series for the last few bunch of years. I always had a weak spot in my heart for tough Enduros so SERA rides suit me just fine. Getting older always is rough for an endurance racer so I look forward to the 24 hour race to see how I am doing.
I would compare a 24 hour race with running a marathon. When I ran a marathon in 1996 I was in pretty good shape for that type event, but running and being tough is only part of the 24 hour prep. Be sure your bike is ready. Mental attitude is probably 90% of going the distance. The worst thing you can do when you get tired is to ride slow. It takes more energy to ride slow than mid-fast. The whoops get REALLY big on the course and you need to get your front wheel over the tops without being pounded into mush.
Treat the race like I treated college - you don't have to be a genius to finish, you just need perseverance.
Ed (aka: RAD DAD)

highmileage

Jun 17, 2004
I think intelligence is the greatest determining factor in success. Preparation is second. Support/organization is number three in the hierarchy.

Some tips before riding. Take Midol the night before and at equal intervals throughout the race (as directed). It actually is weird but works nonetheless for body pain, muscle cramps, etc.

Hydrate and eat. Try eating pasta for a couple meals the day before and then high energy small meals (balanced high energy nutrition bars, etc - get some good info from somebody who knows like a nutritionist) the day of every couple hour/2 hours during the event (every pit). Also ask about focused nutritional supplements such as vitamins/minerals/creatine. Pit time is not only time for bike maintenance, but self maintenance also...have a pit regemin, eat drink, stretch, change clothes/socks, goggles, drink system, etc.

Hydration starts 2 -3 days before. Be carrying a water bottle with you everywhere. Consider Pedialyte in your hydration pack. They give it to infants when ill and is full of electrolytes...kinda tastes gross (actually disgusting), but works for keeping hydration with smaller amounts of fluid intake and exertion. I really don't care what it tastes like so much as the fact that it is wet and washes down the dirt, etc. Get some small bottles of various flavors to detrmine which one is less gross to you. Then buy it in quarts and place the whole quart in your hydration system with the balance being STORE BOUGHT bottled drinking water...don't depend on some gross tasting/rotten egg smelling, well water or have to forage for it at or near the sight.

Prepare before the race, focus your preparation with a combo of physical exertion, stretching and lengthy rides building up. Try a 10-12 hour run on a practice loop or at a natural terrain MX facility 1-2 months before to work out all the bugs and figure out what you would change to make it better for the real thing.

Stop training a 4-5 days before and only do strecthes and a quick warm-up. No physical exertion for two days prior. Stretch and fully warm-up before the start...weird because you would think that absolutely nothing before the start, but take a short jog/brisk walk (10-15 minutes) then stretch while warm, etc

BTW, you're crazy :nener:

tn_tuxedo

Oct 9, 2004
Cool, cool, cool

Thanks again for all the replies. You all have given me alot more advice and encouragement than I expected. Just the kind of feedback I was looking for. Good stuff! Maybe you folks just like horror stories and think this has the potential to turn into a good one? :laugh:
Since it's impossible to get the deadbeats I ride with (used to?) off the porch for a play ride in the woods or mx open practice, I don't expect much from them. I have informed my brother that he will be pressed into service when the time comes. That's 1. It's a start.
I have started on a workout routine. This time of year isn't too good for that sort of thing, though. We'll see how long THAT lasts. Two thing I HAVE TO work on: nutrition and cornditioning. I eat WAY too much choke and puke fast food. That's gotta stop. A torn sometimes make running seem a whole lot like work. :bang: I do have a mountain bike...hmm.
Oh, no. I'm starting to sound like, like....I'm gonna make a resolution or something. I'd better stop before I get on my own nerves.
Happy New Year all! If you drink, don't drive. Buckle up and drive careful. There's lunatics out there so watch out for 'em. The life you save may be a friend of mine.
:moon: :nener:
1/8/06-Maplesville, Ala. triple sanction hs

Last edited:
Top Bottom