Mini Dad

Jan 2, 2001
It's time to move my son up to the 85 class and since KTM will not get off of their lazy BUTTS and build a 85, I am thinking of getting him a TM.
Does anybody here have any experience with the TM 85. They are hard to get information on except from the dealer and of coarse they say it is the best 85 built also the fastest.
I would like to hear your experiences with it good or bad. Parts are no problem,the local dealer seems to be able to get parts fast.
Thanks

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Can't really comment but I will say Oldguy's son "the kid" got a YZ85 and it is a significant upgrade from the previous years YZ80 which was a pretty kick butt 80. TM makes some really trick stuff and if you can get the bike AND the parts you will have a very sweet ride. I do seem to recall some AMA issues with their larger bikes so you may want to check into that first.

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Talked to a guy who has a 2000 85 and another that has a 01/100. Both said quality is A++++. Both bikes are expert level bikes and fit larger riders. Lighter riders can fly on them but the bikes are 20-25 lbs heavier than the Jap counterparts.

My son has a TM 125. It is alittle heavy but he handles it fine. He is 12, 5"3, 145lbs. We race hare scrambles and he has no handling problems with the heaviness or the "expert power". We tamed it dowm with sharp jetting to lessen the hit , added flywheel weight from the enduro model and upped the rear sprocket 3 teeth. I am sure the 85/100 can be tamed if needed.

For our riding in the 80 classes we are going to stick with our 01 RM 80 until mid season and see what bugs get shaken out of the 02 RM85 and take a hard look at the TM 85 or 100.

Goodluck shopping

Last edited:

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
For me price had a lot to do with it, I just couldn't justify the extra $, I just can't beleive it is that much better. It is as much as a lot of 125s were for 2001.
2001 Husqvarna CR125 MSRP $5049
2002 RM85 MSRP $3099
2002 YZ85 MSRP $3249
2002 TM85 MSRP $4999

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
HiG4

I agree to a point about price. I have a 97 TM125 that has gone around the block more than once. Ridden/raced by a AA enduro guy then another season by a "A" Harescramble guy. Bike has it's second piston in it now and a new clutch, Swingarm and linkage is now needeing some attention now after My son put 4 more Harescrambles on it plus practice.

My rational for considereing TM:

02 RM 80 @ local shop out the Door 3100 02TM 85 out of state 4500
addons for RM
Mild porting 120
Pipe/silencer 240
Rear hub/rim 420
(trashed last Stk twice)
Aft bars/controls top
clamp 280

Total ** 4260 ** Versus ** 4500

Suspension work is a toss up, our 01 RM needed 260.00 to get it right. The 02 RM is a new design doubt that it will be perfect out of the crate. The TM rear WP has to be better to adapt than STK RM shock that is limited.

I also considered all the stuff I went through maintaining the RM that was a pain (routine for the jap bikes not so with Euro stuff)

3 pistons, 6 rings, gaskets 300.00
Clutch pack 80.00
Linkage seals 4 bearings 90.00
AftMKT IGN cover 60.00
Water pump impeller etc 90.00
Total for RM *** 620.00

Mabe 100 - 200 for TM (ring/seals)
4880 versus 4600

Now I looked at reacing the RM a second season

ADD 900.00 to RM Crank,bore,Complete Clutch,suspension,Linkages,bearings etc.

I figured 500.00 for TM, piston kit,Clutch some bearings and seals.

I do 90 % of the repairs myself so that isn't in the $$ figures but the TM would save me time. I do alot of maintance every week probably 3 hours for a 1 hour Harescramble or 4 motos. And I still spent alot of money on the RM.

Some guys just run them and sell the junk off when they are done.

This year we will have run 40 Harescramble type races and only DNF'd 2 (Lost a Rod and Lost a stator)

Long post but I hope some of this helps others make good choices on whatever brand they buy.

Last edited:

ktmdad

Feb 29, 2000
The only issue with the TM for AMA motocross is the small numbers produced. If your trying to race the Nationals, it is only legal for the mod. class.

For just racing on the weekends for either MX or HS, it's a legal bike.

Agree with Mike S. Buying the TM is like buying a KTM vs. Jap bike. Get better quality items right out of the box. The TM comes stock with billot hubs, heavy spokes, excel rims, WP Shock, and Paoli forks. Also getting a 125 bottom end. Basically all you have to do is change cylinder, crank assy and tranny gears and you have a 125.

By time you add these items to a stock Jap 85, the cost is pretty close. If KTM doesn't it's butt in gear and get their 85 out in '03, we may also go to a TM. Now if TM can get their production #'s up!

The 65 class will be looking at a similar dilemma when Cobra releases it's 65. Rumored retail at $4,000 to $4,500.:scream:

Last edited:

Mini Dad

Jan 2, 2001
Thanks guys, all this info is great.
The AMA thing is not an issue with us since we just do local racing.
Yes it is expensive, but you get what you pay for. After all the work and extra's that we have put into the 50's and 65's that we have had, I think it is time to get a bike with a of the extra's all ready on it ( saves dad a hole lot of time and money in the long run).
The only thing that I don't like about the TM 85 is the plastic. It kind of looks like they forgot that they had to put plastic on them even on the 125's. Take a look at where the side panel and rear finder come together, but other then that it looks like a GREAT bike!!

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Originally posted by jalbert
5'3" 145 lbs and still riding an 80?:mad:

Yep...Big kid he is 12. Problem here is local district class is 12-15 85cc. There is a 100cc class but not all tracks run it. We have a 125 that he gets to run at a few tracks in PA that will allow it. In NJ forget about it he is stuck on an 80.

Top Bottom