dmeyer

Jul 1, 2001
Hello all,
I hope the riding has been good. I'm not sure where this should go but I think it fits. I have a track behind my parents place and I am wondering if you guys have some favorite types or unuasual obstacles and things at your local riding area. I have enough regular doubles, and I don't like to do tripples. Keep in mind that the area is pretty flat, and I don't have enough dirt to make a hill twenty some feet high. Also if you could post any pictures it would be a big help. Thanks for everyones suggestions.
Later

spy-yamaha

Feb 24, 2002
Hey man. I live out in southern California so our tracks are the best tracks pretty much in the world. You should build like a 50 foot long section on rythms. That would be cool. Also do some step ups and step downs. Make all different kinds of jump variations. That way you are experienced with all of them. just my two cents worth.

dmeyer

Jul 1, 2001
spy-yamaha
I am in the process of making a step down right out of a corner followed by a step up. It should be pretty cool. What other types of jump variations are you talking about? I know there are kickers, floaters, high speed small jumps, but there are probably some that I am not thinking about. Thanks

2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
I'm not sure what these are called, camelbacks I think. A single jump used to jump up onto a tabletop, then a kicker at the end of the table top to jump back down to the backside of another single jump. I've never had the opportunity to try one, but they look like fun! Also, whoops and rythem(sp?) sections.

bro

Mar 21, 2002
I've always thought it would be nice to have a very wide tabletop with varying distances to the backside. On one side it would be quite short and on the opposite side it could be rather long. This would give you practice at jumping many different distances but without the worry of coming up short.

TWRT

Sep 13, 2001
Keep in mind that new jumps will have soft faces. It takes a while for the jump to 'settle in'. Guess it depends on the type of dirt you are working with. I find it difficult to judge how far apart doubles/whoops/singles to table tops should be. And how large a jump is needed for the particular situation. Also, you do not want friends or youself getting hurt. Starting with smaller obsticles then adding dirt to them is one way to build up your skills, help keep people from getting hurt and also to determine what you really wanted to accomplish. Some things I have imagined in my head, don't work out that way. Other things that were just last minute or no planning evolve into favorite obsticles.

A favorite jump I have is a single with about a 20' gap onto a 40' table top. It allows better people to clear the entire table top and lesser people to land on top of the table top.

Some things I have found out:
1. moving dirt is hard work
2. it is time consuming
3. quite a bit of anxiety figuring out how to do what you imagine
4. heavy equipment is dangerous and it is easier than you think to get in trouble
5. there is never as much dirt in your bucket as you think
6. wet dirt is very, very heavy
7. finding the dirt to use is not easy. If you dig a hole, then someone may fall in it. If you scrape the ground, it becomes lower than the surrounding ground and ends up being a mud puddle. buying dirt is expensive.
8. your friends complain that its too big, too small, ruined a good straight a way, should have been here or over there. but you like it just the way it is...
9. having two tractors would be reallllllly great. yours and a guest tractor :eek:
10. creating jumps, etc IS ALMOST AS MUCH FUN AS RIDING :)

Welcome to the never ending world of track maintenance and repair.

oh yeah, wish I could afford a watering system........

davearm

Mar 29, 2000
Thunder Valley

Wish I could go, but I have to work next weekend. I work in a hospital, and people don't realize that they are not supposed to get sick or hurt on the weekends.

Dave

TWRT

Sep 13, 2001
My brother will be in town that weekend and we will be going to Forrest Games. It is only 15 mins from my house. No motox track, but 300 acres of trails. We are still learning our way around.

Hope to see y'all one day. :ugg:

Dave seems to be a popular name on this thread.

Dave H--

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
One of the best obstacles for brake control as well as jump position control is having a turn right after a large double or table.
Those who don't encounter this often will claim it's a bad design when they come across an obstacle like this, but if you practice a jump/turn like this you will never choke wide like many do.
We have a great little section like this at our local track and many will just roll the double because they can't seem to handle the immediate turn.

You may also consider having a truck or two of sand brought in for a turn. Berm it up first in dirt then bring in the sand. It can be much fun.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Good idea Jaybird. Those are very fun once you get it. I'd make sure there is plenty of room on the backside of the berm though. Guess how I found that out. :eek:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
LOL, amen. I think it was RM250guy or someone who posted some great highside photos awhile back. For me, a 40acre field behind the turn works nicely! :)

dmeyer

Jul 1, 2001
Thanks everyone for their suggestions. I already have a couple of sweet burms made from a horse manure mixed with dirt and sand mix. It never packs down, gives awsome traction, and works good for mulch too. I am building a rythm section that should be pretty good and tight. The idea of the turn right after a high speed table or double works killer. There is nothing like landing a 50 foot table and then hitting the brakes into a burm, hitting the gas and moving on to the next obstacle. I also tore down a double and turned it into a really shallow 35 foot table rollover type thing. It help change the track up. Another obstacle I have come to like is the single. I built a 2 foot high by 5 feet long single right before the rollover. It is a very tough jump, the faster you go, the smoother the landing is. THanks again for all the suggestions and keep them coming
Later
dmeyer

Top Bottom