Jun 17, 2008
TTR230 valve clearance?

Hi there guys... just reading my TTR230 manual and the periodic maintenance check list tables:

I've noticed this, but not sure what it is:

So, what is 'Valve Clearance - Check and adjust valve clearance when the engine is cold' ????

I'm not even sure which valve they are taking about.... any help/tips/direction here guys?

Thank you for any replies, and your time guys!

Cheers.

Jun 17, 2008
TTR230 Cleaning Air Filter

TTR230 Cleaning Air Filter

Hi guys... this will be my first time taking off the panel and actually cleaning the air filter
in my TTR230.

The manual says:

"Air Filter Element" -- Clean with 'solvent', replace if required.

So, my question is - which 'solvent' can I clean my TTR230 air filter with????

Dishsoap?

Also, once the filter is clean do I soak the filter in oil, if so, which kind of oil?

Will chain oil or rust check work?

Thank you

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
groundeffect_db said:
So, my question is - which 'solvent' can I clean my TTR230 air filter with????
Dishsoap?
Also, once the filter is clean do I soak the filter in oil, if so, which kind of oil?

Dawn dishwashing concentrate works very well. Mix a bowl of hot water and Dawn and place the filter, dirt side down into the bowl. Slosh it around and squeeze the dirt out of it and then take a hose and squirt water from the inside of the filter out. This is so you don't wash dirt back into the filter. Then squeeze out the excess water and let it air dry overnight.

Go to your local dealer and buy a can of filter oil. Filter oil comes in a spray can and it is stickier than regular oil. It is specifically made for filters. Before you reinstall the filter, take some heavy grease, (waterproof wheel bearing grease) and grease the part of the filter where it seats against the air box inlet. This will keep dirt from getting past the seal.

Have fun. :cool:

btm1948

Jun 4, 2008
ya the k&n works great or if you have to clean your air filter in gas,then wash it out with soapy water. then put on the air filter oil.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
groundeffect_db said:
So, what is 'Valve Clearance - Check and adjust valve clearance when the engine is cold' ????

I'm not even sure which valve they are taking about.... any help/tips/direction here guys?

The valves are located in the cylinder head. This is how the intake gasses get into the cylinder and the exhaust gasses get out. There is a cam with lobes on it that open and close the valves and control which valves open and close at certain times during the piston stroke.

Valve clearance is the clearance between the valve and rocker arm or the cup and the cam. Some bikes have a cup on top of the valve with a shim in between and then the cam rides directly on top of the cup. Some have a rocker arm that rides against the cam and then levers down on the valve. Rocker arms usually have an adjuster bolt and lock nut instead of a shim to adjust the clearance. Your engine uses the rocker arm and adjuster bolt design.

When the engine heats up to normal operating temperature and the metal heats up and expands from the heat, some of this clearance goes away. The clearance is what allows the oil to get in between the cam and the cups or rockers. If this clearance closes up completely, oil is squeezed out from between the cam and cups or rockers and then you will be running metal to metal. Without the oil between the cam and cups or rockers, the cam will be destroyed very quickly. This is why you have to check the clearance when the engine is cold.

As an example, if the manual calls for .010" thousands clearance between the cup and cam and you only have .004" thousands clearance, this clearance will quickly close up to 0" thousands when the engine heats up. Thus squeezing all of the oil out from between the cam and cups and damaging the cam.

Too much clearance will also damage the engine because it will allow the cups or rockers to hammer against the cam and will quickly wear through the hardfacing on the cam.

Do a search on the different strokes of a four-stroke engine. There are many good illustrations of how a four-stroke works on the net and will help you to better understand how your engine works.

Last edited:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
btm1948 said:
or if you have to clean your air filter in gas,.

It is not a good idea to use gas to clean your filter. Aside from the obvious fire danger gas will eat the glue in some filters and the filter will fall apart. Rather than dishwashing liquid you can use a stoddard solvent.

btm1948

Jun 4, 2008
ya you really shouldnt clean it with gas but notice i said if you have to. like if your filter gets so dirty your bike wont run and you still have to get back to camp. trust me i have had to do it and its worth cleaning it with some gas when your 5 miles away from camp and its almost all up hill

May 10, 2007
diesel and kerosene work for solvents too (though i have never used them i have just heard that)

also a little tip get some disposable latex gloves because the oil is sticky and is a pain to get off your hands.

Jun 17, 2008
Hey guys!

Thank you for all of the tips here!

This is my first time cleaning my air filter, so I want to do it right from the start.

I've just got back from my local dealer and picked up some yamaha filter oil.

I'll be washing it out tomorrow night, letting it dry over night, putting oil on it
the next morning.

Good point on using the rubber gloves, thanks!

So, what is a standard solvent???

Thank you again.

Jun 17, 2008
good links, helps me get an idea of what this is about.... right now this is something I will leave for the dealer to check.

thank you for the links, good videos!

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
groundeffect_db said:
So, what is a standard solvent???

It's called STODDARD solvent not standard solvent. It is used in most auto/engine repair shops. It can be purchased through most industrial oil and chemical suppliers. The down side is you may have to buy a 55 gallon drum of it.

If you have an auto machine shop or repair shop nearby, they may sell you a couple of gallons.

Dawn works very good. Excellent grease cutter.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
fatcat216 said:
Terry:
Like this?
[/url]

Yes. :cool: Those are excellent Dee Dee thanks for posting. :nod:

One thing I forgot to mention is how critical it is to have enough clearance in your valves.

Many riders will check their valve clearance and the specs will be below the required clearance but they still have a few thousands clearance. So, they figure since they still have a few thousands clearance it will be ok to ride the bike a little more without hurting it. This is incorrect.

When the factory calls for .010" clearance, (as an example) this clearance is engineered so that when the engine heats up to operating temperature and everything expands from the heat, you will still have about .001" or .0005" clearance left for the oil to get in between the rocker and cam. If you only have .008" clearance cold, when the engine heats up you wind up with .0" clearance or minus .001". Now you are running metal to metal without the necessary clearance for the oil. This is when your engine starts eating itself.

Many of the problems we see with the new crop of four-strokes is the lack of understanding of how they work and how critical it is to make sure your specs are set correctly.

fatcat216

"Don't Worry Sister"
~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2007
89r- you keep encouraging me and there's gonna be trouble. :boss:

I might as well make public my threat? Once I finish my little Motospeak for Beginner's card catalogue, I'm changing my screen name again to "The Librarian". Then I'm puttin' the white hair up in a bun, getting a shiny chain for my reading glasses, and setting up a desk by the DRN door. :debil: I'm going to hand out URL's with a sweet little "there ya go dearie" to all the people like me whose brains understand Motospeak as well as if they'd been dropped on another continent. ;)

Joking aside- those are seriously nice posts Terry. Thanks for your patience (and TIME) in explaining things so thoroughly. We feel really really lucky to have you. :cool:

Last edited:

Top Bottom