the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
At the rider's meeting on Sunday morning one of the course organizers (Curtis ?) pointed out that this was gonna be a full-on timekeeper. Last year's SweetHeart really was - the difference between 1st and 5th came down to seconds - and most riders dropped very few points. However, this year's event was no timekeeper ! Once you hit the third check all you could do was ride as fast as possible and hold on. Many speeds were in the 30's and there were even some in the 40's ! It was also pretty long as the club races go - about 57 miles for the Novices - around 70 miles for the upper level classes. Many of the riders couldn't get all the lines from the route sheet into their computers - there were that many speed changes - but once you got behind it really didn't matter. Everyone was saying it was more like a desert race than an enduro. The layout was one loop of about 18 miles repeated several times.

There was some rain on Saturday night so there wasn't much dust. The start was just off the main access road to El Mirage. Straight in from the road and then right away there was a right-hander up a very silty and rutted uphill - a little rocky but not too bad if you got a decent run-up. I did see a few guys get hung up here. Then there were some steep hardpack rollers and then another real rocky and silty uphill. Again - this one nailed a few people. After that you did some blasting through sandy flats and washes - whoops here and there and a few road crossings. There were two or three more uphills but none were as bad as the first two. One big rocky downhill back toward camp. The course wasn't that technical but it definitely beat you up and the high speeds made it tough.

Old 'n' Stealthy showed up but I saw him for only a few seconds. He came up to me right as we were in the start chute.

O'n'S - did you ride the loop ?

Great course. The results should be up soon so stay tuned.

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
That was one of the hardest enduros I have ever rode. On the 2nd loop I really really hoped for a flat tire so I didnt have to finish. I did keep going and finally finished the 3rd loop. As I was riding back to camp the weather turned real nasty. The wind was blowing sand all over the place. Now that its over I had alot fun and cant wait for next month.

Am I the only one that thinks the courses are getting tougher and tougher? Not a complaint just an observation.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
They are definitely getting longer I think. The whoops at Black Hills really beat me up though. I think it's kinda cool that they are making them longer / tougher. More bang for your buck ! :aj:

oldandslo

Aug 29, 2001
I was able to ride 3 laps. The first lap and half I followed the slow guys and talked to the course guys. The last half I rode a little faster. One course guy said he screwed up when he laid the track out. Said he made it to fast. The experts were passing people. I guess thats bad.

I cheated one the one hill near the bottom. After watching a couple of guys struggle up I notice an alternate (easier) way up.

After I finished I was interrupted by the wind and sand. Decided I would go home earlier. As sore as I am today it`s good I didn`t ride anymore.

I really enjoyed riding that course, it was fun.

So how did you guys place?

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
The results should be up soon enough.

I looked around after the race but couldn't find you. Glad you came out. Considering we spoke for all of a minute I hope you still had a cool day. The speeds were fast and you're not the only one I've heard who said the loop organizers were kicking themselves. I loved the race, but some people don't like it when the timekeeping aspect gets thrown out the window - like when the race is too fast. Then it's no longer an enduro.

What did you think of the loop ?

Last edited:

oldandslo

Aug 29, 2001
I rode thru the camp after I was thru, I just saw a bunch of RV`s. I was parked down the road a little.

I had a blast. I would be flying(at least for me) down the trail and all of a sudden it would make a hard right or left. I missed that left down off of the ridge every lap. And I wasn`t trying to keep time. I can see how hard it is to follow ribbon and watch your time. The last lap they changed the course. I guess the fast guys did 4 laps. I went up a canyon that had no trail. No one had been up that section. I just hung on and bounced up the rocks.

I am ready to go riding out ther again. Maybe I will get to the next one on time and be able to find you guys.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
I thought the El Mirage Enduro would be a time keeping event, but it sounds more like the Baja 500. I missed this one, but there's always next time...:)

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Cool !

The turns are a bear aren't they ? They marked 'em real tight this time so they came up on you faster than usual. The turns are usually a good place to spectate - lots of funny riding going on there. I missed one ridge turn and got lost for a spell.

Glad you had a good time. It would have been fun to go for a spin but I was pretty well spent. The next race is out by Victorville off Hodge Road - March 24th. ( Holeshot take note )

I also have a few people who are interested in that Gorman forest trail you showed me. Feel like giving us a tour again some time ?

http://pw1.netcom.com/~sorudne/events.htm

Top Bottom