James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
I have a well used, frequently raced, and often crashed CR250 I'll sell you. Two of them actually...2000 or 2001, your choice. Dirt included.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
I went to look at a KX a young guy had, was listed on egay. the whole situation was unbelievable...it was real comedy. Don't feel like typing up the whole thing, but the highlights include a blown shock seal with oil all over the shaft "that's just condensation", a spare set of new plastic that turned out to be bright orange (on a KX?) :| , and an overall filthy bike and the guy said "you didn't expect me to wash it just to sell it, did you?"

JustinC

Apr 5, 2005
i like when they say never raced but they still have numbers on the bike. actually, the ad i placed in the paper for my bike says "just broke in" because it is just broken in. i crashed back in the spring and have been injured all season.

Wintermute

Jul 7, 2005
Best one of those I've seen lately was a "never been raced" but the photo of the bike was taken in the pits of a race. :coocoo:

Like nobody's going to figure that out.

I hate misleading ads for bikes. Nothing like driving a couple of hours to check out a bike that sounded good in the ad only to discover that; the stock stickers haven't been in the same state with the bike in 3 years, all the plastic is scratched and creased or broken, the seat is ripped, the knobs are only 1/16th of an inch high, the levers are bent, the radiator fins are all bent over, there is more oil coming out of the bike than there is coming out of texas, etc.

I always figure that any used bike will actually cost me $500-800 more than I paid to purchase the bike just to get it into decent condition.

Wintermute
-------------------------------------------------------
Q: Why do ducks have big, flat feet?
A: To stamp out forest fires.

Q: Why do elephants have big, flat feet?
A: To stamp out flaming ducks.

B

biglou

From a similar thread:
biglou: said:
"Never Raced" is a favorite of mine. Hell, I ride like I race: As hard as humanly possible at my skill level.

Here's my bike ad: "xxYZwhatever, ridden as often as possible, as hard as possible, raced as often as possible, blinged out as much as practical and affordable, cleaned and serviced twice as much as necessary".

stevet

Jan 11, 2005
i hate the "like new" in the ad..........then you go look at it and it's anything but like new.......a new bike won't look "like new" after just a couple of rides, so why say that in an ad.....say "good condition" or "well maintained"...but not "like new" unless you never road it...

Lokair

Feb 2, 2006
I bought my bike from a local dealer who in his add said "Good runner, bad looker" he was right all the plastic had been scraped, the seat has a ZING seat cover that is ripped, and the grips are beat. Now it runs great , but the rear suspension needed removed and lubed, the rear brake pads were not on the bike, no gear shifter. After I did all the maintence the bike is a strong runner. The bike was one of his kids friends who thought maintence was putting gas in it, and putting stickers all over it.

ComradeMikhail

Mi. Trail Riders
May 2, 2005
The bike was one of his kids friends who thought maintence was putting gas in it, and putting stickers all over it.

I hate it when people think that's the only way you have to maintain these things. The kid (one of my best friends) I bought my YZ bought it from a local kid who raced, so I know it's been raced, but the kid who got it from him never replaced the rings, piston, anything. He tore first gear out of it, and never bothered replacing it. The bike runs good now, just a new clutch cable and the normal stuff (need to run through that list KTM Mike gave me, lol). But yeah, I don't mine the "never been raced" much, as it could mean ridden hard, but when people don't do normal maintence starts to worry me.. If I didn't pick this bike up for $500, I probably wouldn't have bought it knowing the way it was taken care of.

Lokair

Feb 2, 2006
yea, i would rather buy a bike that has been raced than one that was not taken care of, but I did buy the bike that was not taken care of, Price was right and I have less than 200 dollars into all the repairs, even did a few mods that I think will make service easier. I am thinking of adding Grease fitting to all the suspension and swing arm pieces, ceramiic coating the pipe, I already added a allen headed machine screw for the oil check(makes it easier to check the oil level).

Oh yea I removed all the stickers, I am planning on stripping the bike one week this summer , while I do a new piston and ring, and bead blasting the whole frame and repainting it and all the plastic to a medium silver. A very nondiscript bike when I am done.

D.LEATHERS

Jun 28, 2002
I Personally Would Much Rather Buy A Bike From Someone Who Does Race, That Way You Know That The Bike Was Maintained On A Regular Basis, Unless The Person Is A Total Spode, You Can Tell After About 5 Minutes Of Conversation Or What Shape The Bike Is In. Just My 2 Cents Worth.

Lokair

Feb 2, 2006
I agree, I looked at atleast 10 bikes that were in way better condition than the one I bought, but they were a higher in price than my budget would allow. I got my bike for 1200$, it was abused, but strong so I started in on genneral repairs, and cleaning. I fixed all the small stuff in under 100$ added a few things I wanted with anouther 100$, Now I have a nice bike and I am under budget. I plan on doing the top end this spring and still being under budget. The best part is my bud who saw the bike offered me 500$ over what I paid, hehehe.

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
a great place to pick up a good used bike is from vet mx guys. most are fast so they dont need 1000 laps of practice a week. if they have been racing awhile, they have connections for parts ie sponserships. they usually hold on to a bike for 2yrs or so. the bike sees 10-15 laps a week and is usually maintained. what more could you ask for?

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
tx246 said:
a great place to pick up a good used bike is from vet mx guys. most are fast so they dont need 1000 laps of practice a week. if they have been racing awhile, they have connections for parts ie sponserships. they usually hold on to a bike for 2yrs or so. the bike sees 10-15 laps a week and is usually maintained. what more could you ask for?

this is the best advice on used bike buying that you young guys will ever hear.

Top Bottom