headbanger

May 7, 2000
I can't decide between a Van (extended) or a 6x12 enclosed trailer. I have a F-150 to pull the trailer, but if I had the van I would sell the truck and get a car for my daily ride.
I would like to carry 2-3 bikes and sleep in the rig also.
Thanks!

limitless

subscribed
~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
That is a tough decision! I would think that an enclosed trailer and a blow-up matress would work better for your needs though. I saw a van that had a wall built between the 1st back seat and the rest (where the bike was) this weekend. It looked to be a nice set-up but it wouldn't hold maybe 2 bikes and there wouldn't be hardly any room for sleeping. I have enclosed trailer, but I've yet to use it for bikes. My mom and dad have slept in it and they had A ton of room left with both of them and the matress. You can easley fit 3 bikes in there too (plus gear and tools ect.). Plus with the trailer someone could always sleep in the back seat of the truck and or in the bed. Our f150 has no problem pulling the trailer, but it's not the best at it (V6). I would definetley go with the trailer, those things can be made to look super nice and will hold about anything.

Just my .02 cents,
Tom

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
Headbanger,
I was also considering getting a van but got an enclosed trailer. The positive of having an enclosd trailer is:

1) It's always loaded and ready to go.
2) You can sleep in it
3) Loading and unloading is very easy, short step up height.
4) When you get home, all you have to do is unhitch it, take the cooler and dirty clothes into the house, leave the rest for the next day.
5) NO GAS FUMES in the truck.
6) Standup height is much better.
7) Depreciation value is not as bad as a van.

The negatives:
1) As you are going 70+mph you are constantly looking for the police in your mirror.
2) Parking at staging areas is just that more difficult finding a good level spot.
3) Turning around (U turns) can be a problem.
4) Storage parking.
5) Your tow vehicle needs to have the capacity to tow the trailer.

I'm not entirely happy with my decision. I store the trailer in my garage. So I lost garage space.
I don't like towing something I can't see through. But once at my destination it is perfect. I can park then be ready to ride in 15 minutes. The reverse is also true. After an enduro I don't feel like spending time loading up. I load the bike, change clothes done .....gone.

These have been my experiences from the past year.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i bought a 6x12 a couple years ago and now i'm kicking myself for riding the previous 15 years without one.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Another vote for the trailer - mainly for the reasons already mentioned. More room, more height, place to leave bikes/tools/gear, can be used for other things, insurance on 1 vehicle instead of 2, cheaper than van/car combo, better resale, carry gas in truck bed, easier to load, somewhere to store bikes all year, etc.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
The trailer/truck combo is just much, much more versatile. Sleep in the trailer or get a one of the tents that sets up in the bed of your truck. Your total carrying capacity will be much higher and not just for bikes. The van really limits you to hauling stuff that is short enough to fit through the rear door. Search the photo gallery for lots of ideas that folks have used to set up their trailers.

KenR

Feb 20, 2002
Ditto - Trailer.

We just bought an enclosed 8.5' X 20' (we also haul a quad or two) and can't imagine why we didn't get one sooner. Just the ease of loading/unloading at either end of the trip makes it worthwhile. For several years we'd haul our bikes in a pickup and grunt and groan at the end of the day loading those things back up (they sure are heavier at the end of a ride). Now we just drop the ramp and roll 'em in to their Bike Shoes (another "must have"), and go.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom