rosshh

Nov 7, 2001
I recently picked up a '74 250 cross from a neighbors estate sale. The bike is in absolute mint condition. After looking at other similar bikes I noticed my swingarm and brake linkage are different. They appear to be have been cut and extended as there are welds in both the linkage and swingarm. Everything looks very clean and I am wondering did some come this way from the factory or was this a popular mod back in the day? Thanks for your help.

Whoops

Jun 19, 2000
Hi rosshh,

Unfortuneately the bike is now completely ruined. Lucky for you I am a nice guy and will take this problem off your hands for a nominal sum.....;)

My 74 does not not have any strange welds on either the swing arm or linkage. It would appear that you have custom modification. Finding an un-modified swing arm could be a problem as the 74 CR250 had was unique because the shock mount was moved forward in that year.

The frame number might be helpful to be sure you have a 74.

Whoops

rosshh

Nov 7, 2001
Thanks Whoops.

My frame number is m1(or I) 4903. This bike has definitly sparked an interest for me in vintage motorcycles.
I noticed that the modifications have moved the rear shocks back.:confused:
I am not 100% sure on the year but maybe someone can tell by the frame number.
The bike has not been run in a very long time (probally over 25 years - I bought it from the original owners estate). The tires are the originals and still have some of the nipples left on them - but the rubber has decayed from time. Any ideas on how to prep the bike properly before I start it again? I already drained the gear oil and it came out a very thick sludge.
Thanks for your help.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom