Oct 25, 2009
Hello,

I am new to the forum. I have been riding my old Huskys for quite a few years and have finally decided to restore one. I was hoping that someone here might be able to tell me where to find the right paint codes or near perfect color matches for not only the tank but the frame and other little parts that will need painting. Has anyone tried powder coating parts like the expansion pipe? Thank you.

Here is the bike. I believe it to be a 1981 430 XC

Attachments

• 430 bike.jpg
    430 bike.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 3,588

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
That's a nice bike to start with. I restore Maicos and have had to have paint matched, and mixed, by a shop. I was lucky enough to have a chip off the frame where it was still new looking (under the gas tank/seat. The shops scan the chip and mix accordingly. For all my parts I have a bead blaster but you can do everything with wire wheels and sandpaper if that's your budget. Since my bikes are riders I stay away from powder. It's tough but when damaged harder to repair. With an expansion chamber I can retouch a ding and you'd never know it was done (with high temp paint). I just use high temp black off the shelf rattle can. You certainly do have options for the pipe. There's unlimited coatings that handle the heat of a 2 stroke. I've toyed with a works pipe/no paint idea also. If it's a show bike powder may be the way to go on everything$$$.

Attachments

• 440 after paint.jpg
    440 after paint.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 2,036

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Some guys are going to aluminum swingarms but I like mine original.

Attachments

• 440 swingarm after paint.jpg
    440 swingarm after paint.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 1,966

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
One other thing ( actually there's a million since we have'nt even discussed to engine teardown) I rebuild the suspension, front and rear. The springs also get blasted and coated with paint. Here's an item I may want to consider powder on but have had good luck with paint followed by clearcoat.

Oct 25, 2009
Thanks for the help, guys. I am building this for a rider. I was thinking powder coat for durability. What you said makes sense. Either way, it would have to be touched up at some point.

I am not exactly sure of the model year. My frame # is XN06xxx. According to the chart it looks to be a late '81 or early '82 XC.

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
dales298 said:
I used duplicolor truck paint in slate. It doesn't last long on wear areas, but it's cheap.

Nothings wrong with rattle cans, heck you can get primer, color, and clearcoat, from the same manufacturer. They do last ok if you put down enough coats, and retouch is soooo much easier than breaking out, and cleaning, the gun for multiple apps. PJ1, duplicolor, krylon, rustoleum, it don't matter. I've got one resto-friend that only uses two-part epoxy but man-oh-man it takes alot of prep to shoot. I still say powder can cause some heartache when it comes to retouch. Stick with paint - my 2 cents.

Oct 25, 2009
Thanks for the help. I definitely agree with the rattle can idea. When I first posted, I was hoping to come across some old husky builder, Who said "When I build show bikes, I shoot the forks with standard gold Krylon. I looks just like factory!"

sm7482

Jan 29, 2008
Uchytil said:
That's a nice bike to start with. I restore Maicos and have had to have paint matched,

restore maicos huh? ever get your hands on an old square barrel? like a 68 360 or a 69250? those are my two favorite bikes. ever since riding them all i do is dream a dream of maico

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
sm7482 said:
restore maicos huh? ever get your hands on an old square barrel? like a 68 360 or a 69250? those are my two favorite bikes. ever since riding them all i do is dream a dream of maico

No square barrels here. I know some guys stick with older vintage square & radial, some are later evo (me), and some only like 80's, and beyond, like mega 490s.

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
Don't Bag On Red....

Hi Husky Hank,
Great to see the old iron out on the trails, Right on!!!
Take it easy on the riders of RED !!!!!
Need I remind you that the first huskies imported here were RED...
I"m surprised that the ignition in your bike is still working, age
takes a toll on most old electrics. 2 friends of mine that rode the old
Huskies for too long,Battled with ignition problems until they bought,newer iron.
One of them was so fed up with his old bike, he set up a camera, Filled the tank with fuel, had a small cerimony at charlies place & burned the bike to the ground.
Every thanksiving he brings out the video and we all watch it for old times sake, while we bench race ,laugh like hell,camp& emptying :cool: good beer bottles.
If you have any old husky parts that are all used up,(aluminum parts only)send them to me and i'll melt them down & cast new parts for my HONDA. That old metal has lots of good MOE going on... Respectfully,Porkchop...
11-14-09, THIS RANT WAS INTENDED TO GO TO A VINTAGE HUSKY RIDER THAT WAS COMPARING HONDA RIDERS TO ARSHOLES IN THE POST, SO CAL WRECKING CREW," SHOULD WE BUY A TOMBSTONE".
Please accept my most embarrassed apologies, for I directed this to you in error, sorry pal. Your bike looks great, ride it often.
Remorsefully, Porkchop... :bang:

Last edited:

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
Nice bike, it is in fact an '81 430xc - great, durable bike! I ride Husky automatics(420) along with 430xc as a back up bike. I just sold my '81 and really regret it!
I agree with powder coat - VERY hard to fix once chipped.
For a rider, take the tank to a body shop and have them color match it and you are good to go. If the bike becomes hard to start, check the ignition - the other post was on target regarding the old motoplat - I have mine rewound prior to racing it if it's a "new bike".

Good Luck with it!
PS - here is an '81 and '82

Attachments

• 94 750sx 99 760GP 001.jpg
    94 750sx 99 760GP 001.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 761
  • 1120082214a.jpg
    1120082214a.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 646

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom