• I’d pay a nominal fee and work for a short time to ride

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
In order to hold a spodefest at a facility the can accommodate all types of riding we need to know what everyone is willing to do. I am currently negotiating with Thunder Ridge Cycle Park http://www.tridgejim.com/ (just south of the Unadilla MX track) to allow us to use their property for a Damn Yankee Dirt Rider event. They hold NY district 3 MX as well as several hare scrambles though out the year. They are typically not a “pay to ride” park but they will need to be compensated for us to ride there. I suggested to them that we could pay a set fee to ride or supply labor for trail and or track maintenance, or both. If any one has other ideas for compensating them, please post them.

Before I go much further I need to know what our preferences are. Please take the poll to help point us in the right direction. I also plan on using this poll information to get a rough idea of how many people would attend an event at Thunder Ridge.

In the near future I will be contacting Square Deal Riders club (in Harpersville, NY)for a similar set up on their property. They have a quasi MX track and hold hare scrambles.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Dave - Right now my time is very limited, we have very few "members" and I'd have to travel some distance so I voted for pay to ride. Besides, I already donate labor to work at my club's property.

My thoughts would be different if we had exclusive access to some property for hosting an event. ;)

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
I voted "pay to ride" for the same reason as Woodsrider. Looks like any event i attend would be atleast 8+ hour drive one way. I wouldnt mind doing some work if it was going to be for more than one day. Say arrive early evening one day and work that evening. Then ride all the next day. Other than that i wouldnt get much riding time in if i had to work almost as many hours as ride hours for a one day event.

dirtybkr

Mar 17, 2000
Pay !

Like Woodsrider , I will put in my time working at our local club land and would rather ride than work at a gathering of DYDR .

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I voted to pay also. I'm generally doing 4-5 hours of driving to get to these things. If I lived nearer I wouldn't mind spending some time chopping trials or picking up trash, but I'd rather just pony up the cash.
If it becomes a necessity, I will join a work detail. I realize that you can't always ride. Someone has to run the event do the scoring/flagging etc. But, in these early stages, I'd rather keep it to a minimum.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
I have to be honest, I'd rather pay to ride. I'm secretary for our club this year, and we have plenty of work weekends scheduled.
When I get a day or weekend off, I'd rather just load up the bike and go riding.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by LoriKTM
When I get a day or weekend off, I'd rather just load up the bike and go riding.

I guess that's pretty much where I stand. Don't mind working when it's local. I'll be doing a number of club work parties this year. When there's a long drive involved, I'd rather pay.

jib

Jan 23, 2000
Lori, pretty much summed it up for me as well. I'd rather pay to ride on one of my 2 weekends off a month,rather than work.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Votes seem to be still trickling in but it looks like the majority wants to just pay to ride. I'll be closing the poll. That's fine by me. I have the same time constraints that everyone else has too.

I'll see what my contact at Thunder Ridge has to say.

Top Bottom