SuperJuice

Jul 26, 2006
1) Your physical size (both height and weight are important)
5'11", 170 pounds
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
Moderately to very agressive
3) What do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
Mostly trails/woods, some MX tracks for fun.
4) Do you have any riding experience?
Yes rode for 6-7 years from age 3. Haven't ridden since (29 now)
5) Do you think you will race ?
Would like to do enduro events.
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
Yes, definately
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
4T
10) Anything else that you think would help form an opinion
Choice between a CRF250X or a CRF450X.

I plan on keeping either bike for 4-5 years.

With the 250X I'm worried I'll get bored of it and will not have enough power in the long run and riding constantly at higher revs will put greater strain on the engine compared to 450.

With the 450X I'm worried the extra 25 pounds will hamper my attempts at racing in enduro events.

Which one is best? How noticeable is the extra weight on the 450X on long rides?

richardgd

Jul 26, 2006
I don't have the X model but you don't have much feedback so I will give it a try. I recently switched from an RM125 to a CRF250R and love it. I liked the challenge of making the 125 move and was afraid I would be bored on the 4-stroke. To me riding around in 3rd gear all the time would be boring, I like to shift once in a while. Surprisingly I have just as much fun on my CRF. I also have a couple friends of similar skill, intermediate, who went for the 450's instead. I have a fairly tight track similar to what you would see trail riding but with a few jumps. I think I have gotten faster since switching from a 2-stroke and at the same time they seem like they slowed down. I guess it is due to the extra weight of the bike and the fact that they are intimidated by the power. The 450's have so much power you can get yourself in trouble quick, the 250 is much more forgiving if you make a mistake. On my 250 I feel in control but when riding the 450 I feel like the bike is taking me for a ride. We also ride with a couple more experienced A-class riders who also bought 250's and can tell you the 250's can fly if you know what you are doing. The biggest advantage the 450 has is in long uphill streights but other than that the 250 can hold it's own. I think you'll like either one but don't overlook the 250 because it's not the biggest and baddest like my friends did. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom