Gibby!

Apr 15, 2007
Hey all, we just came back from looking at a couple bike shops around town, and I am stoked. I want a bike, but I have no idea what I am looking for or doing. I have read hundreds of pages over the last couple of weeks, and am probably even more lost now than I was then. So I am trying to get an opinion from a larger audience (not just dealers and friends who don't ride), there is a ton of knowledge and experience here on this board, so I figured I would take shot...

What I am looking for are a couple bikes my son and I can get on and ride with no experience, not break the bank, still ride them again next year, and not kill ourselves trying to learn.

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
Me, 5'7" 215ish (and coming down...) - Son, 5' 85lbs (if hes lucky)
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
Not very, I am not looking for racing bikes. But that may change...
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
Mainly just mountain / dirt trails in western / southern New Mexico, soft sand washboard roads.
4) Do you have any riding experience?
Zilch
5) Do you think you will race ?
Not me, but my son may...
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
Very, and probably all the work I think I can handle, if I don't think I can do it, I know people who can.
7) Do YOU have a preference to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
I think 4 stroke, for various reasons (Power isn't one of them), but for my son, a 2 stroke wouldn't be out of the question with weight concerns. We both like the Yamaha's, the price seemed a little cheaper than the others, but I may just not have been paying close enough attention...
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
There are several dealers, and they carry all the major brands.
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?
Budget is flexible since I am looking at getting 2 bikes, but generally cheaper is better...
10) Do you live in California?
No
11) Anything else that you think would help form an opinion?
Well like I said above we are both very inexperienced, so more power right off probably wouldn't be a good thing. Mainly just looking at getting something we can learn on together in the beginning. We have talked to some dealers, but anybody trying to sell me something I take with a grain of salt ;).

Any other considerations you guys can point out would be most appreciated.

chris61988kb

Uhhh...
Mar 19, 2007
you said you like yamaha, you could go with a yzf450, id say yzf250 but your a little heavy for it, my buddy weighs like 150 and he rides the yzf250. as for your son yzf150r would be good but then again the 07 model is the only 150 4 stroker out there for yamaha so you wouldnt be able to go used. in that case crf150f, same bike, except honda.

if you dont wana go four stroke for numerous reasons, one big factor is the PRICE (maintance, and the cost of the bike)

so you could go 2 stroke get your son either an rm or kx 100, or if you want the yamaha go with a yz85 big wheel. and you could either go with a 125 or 250, depends on your confidence.

Im 5'4", 115 to 120 pounds and im getting a 125 two stroke, most likely a cr so id say step it up and get a 250 if you go 2 stroke.

Youll be fine as long as you take it easy starting out, i learned the hard way when i hopped on my buddies cr125 and had never rode a dbike in my life went around a couple bends and then came back in the opening and tried whippin the back end out rippin the throttle and all and dumped his bike, broke the clutch lever and go shot off the bike :laugh:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom