What is the best bike for beginners?

rebeldunn

Mar 22, 2009
Hello I am looking to get a dirt bike but I am not sure what would be the best. I am a 5'4 and 125lb female. I have rode a Honda 230 a few times, under normal conditions I can pick it up if I drop it, but when my leg got pinned against a rock I couldn't. But I loved the speed of it. So I am looking for something lighter, and a little shorter in height ;), but would like to have some power left to play on. I do ride quads and am not fearful, I know completely different. I will mainly be riding trails, occasionally we will go play in sand, and live down the road from an MX track that I plan on taking lessons at, the guys there are great. A friend of mine said a CR80 but they look like they are a little too small?? Any help would be appreciated.

Oh I almost forgot, my guy will most likely be riding a little as well, so something that can also suit him if the mood so strikes, I doubt it as he has his own toys, but hey I can share. He is 5'5 and 140lbs.

Last edited:

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I'm going to send you directly to the "What bike should I get" forum. I'm sure someone in there will be able to help you out with your decision making.

Oh yeah, welcome to DRN :cool:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Welcome! You might want to consider the KX100. It's got very smooth power because it's got an exhaust valve and is lighter than the 230. The power band is broader than the 80/85. It also has suspension for the track. It will be quite a bit more maintenance than the 230 though.

rebeldunn

Mar 22, 2009
_JOE_ said:
Welcome! You might want to consider the KX100. It's got very smooth power because it's got an exhaust valve and is lighter than the 230. The power band is broader than the 80/85. It also has suspension for the track. It will be quite a bit more maintenance than the 230 though.

Thank you. I will look into it. I figured I was going to spend more time on maintenance since I was going to take it to the track, I look forward to it actually.

How about KTM's? I hear mixed reviews about them. I know I have the engine in my quad and love it.

Top Bottom