What Mid-Life Crisis? Bachelor Move to Santa Maria

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
OK gang: this last Sunday I made a (temp.) move for a new (temp.) job up the central coast of California; I’ve lived just about every other place in the state but not near here at all. The best is I’ve ridden near here as mentioned in another thread weeks ago.

Seeing my stay would be at least 3 months, we decided to keep our sons in school with my wife in SoCa, and I would rent an apartment near work. (We’ll all move up at the end of the school year if I’m offered permanent employment.) I’m happy with the place in that not only has a one-car garage to keep my bike in, but the owner rides too! He broke 2/3 of his kneecap – ouch! - in an enduro nine months ago, and is ready to get out again soon on his KTM 520 – yes: he’s a big boy. He said he would hook me up with some A riders (gulp!) who ride every weekend in the nearby off-road areas. Additionally, I am in contact with the organizers of the Piglet and Wild Boar enduros (our own Farmer John “brand” – you listening my friend?), having volunteered my time to assist in the events; I’d like to get to know Clear Creek, site of a National enduro.

My drive up early Sunday was rather uneventful other than occasional dense fog. I had rented a small trailer since I wanted to bring all my bike-related goods and then some; it’s too far to drive home for the weekend and expect to be up for riding after a 4-hour drive, moreover be in an up mood for spending time with my family.

Originally my oldest (Junior) was to come with me to help unpack but a 6am departure, then off-loading all the goods at the apartment would have made us late to the train station for his trip back; all he could do was help me load the very last things in the wee hours before leaving.

Things turned really “country” when coming down from the Gaviota pass, in that from there to Santa Maria I lost track of the obviously identifiable road kill. Then there are the fields of strawberries, Swiss chard, collard greens and kale across the street and on the 2-mile commute to work; less trips to the grocery store?

I’m in a one bedroom, yet can hear the next-door neighbors as if we are in the same unit; but I do give them credit for going quiet while approaching 10pm, so I won’t hold it against them. And the kids running around the complex doesn’t bother me either, adding to the family atmosphere, and I like that. Then there were the young Hispanic guys installing immense speakers in this Jeep-SUV thing, although they kept to themselves as they looked like men-with-a-mission. They finished installing the nuke-level sound system as I was done organizing the garage.

After eating a home-cooked dinner – warmed-over ribs – I laid down to rest by reading Cycle News. Lat thing I remember was laying it flat, then waking up to the Sunday evening TV special, courtesy of my neighbor. It worked out for the better as I needed to undress, shower, and get ready for my first day at the new job.

More to follow…

FireLily

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Hi, Placelast!
O.K., now I know where you are.....I looked at a California map, and I finally spotted Santa Maria.

When I saw your post about helping Wild Piglet, I thought you were moving close to the Bay Area, but you are still way south from us.

Well, I hope you will enjoy your bachelor life in Santa Maria. And if you get a chance to come up north to ride, please let us Northern California riders know!!

Mini
PS: Did we meet in Kennedy Meadows briefly?

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Hang in there bud, thanks for the updates. Sorry to see you so far away though, we really miss your figs, nuts and other weeds you offer us during the rides!;)

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Good luck John. :thumb:

That is an awesome area to live in. Let us know when you get the trails figured out.

Oh yea, take it easy on those 'A' riders. Ya wanna be sure they invite you back. :laugh: :laugh:

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
'lily: yes, we met last summer. I plan on getting up to Clear Creek to help on the enduros, moreover to do DRN rides there and elsewhere. I really want to do Reno but cannot come to reason w/time off on a new job let alone driving solo.

Elk: as a pisano you should - of all people (I'm ashamed of you son!) - know dried figs contain more potassium than bananas; all the better for dirt biking (armpump reduction+ stamina). And we have yet to discuss dry red wine, olive oil, pasta, Ducati, DeTomaso (ooowww: Pantera w/a 351 Cleveland+5-speed trans.), Acerbis...the "Eye"-talians have class, so, uh, ahem! what happened? RU 2 (repeat after me, with Sicilian accent) Ahw-mar-"e"-ka-neyez-de?

Thumpin' Terry: you know I'll behave myself and take the lickings well that are dished out. BTW, you still have that CR250? I know someone looking for an low $ ride to carry him thru for a year - millenniumdsj@hotmail.com - let me know and I'll pass on your info to him, if he will.

Top Bottom