Speeed

Proud American
Jul 4, 2004
I just bought a 20 gal solvent tank. what should I use for solvent?
mineral spirits,diesel, kero. or other ?
I am lookin for something that will remove grease and grime but will not harm rubber seals and such
thanks

DRZ_Dad

Apr 21, 2004
Your local auto parts store will be able to help you, but I am not aware of any decent cleaner that is safe on any kind of rubber.......

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
Get a drum of Gojo, water it down and that should do the trick! But seriously I would like to know my self as I want to build a parts cleaner myself.

Speeed

Proud American
Jul 4, 2004
thanks guys!
anyone else got suggestions?

reelrazor

Jun 22, 2004
Mineral spirits work really well. Parts will blow dry nicely, and the MS has to be REALLY dirty to not be effective anymore. You DO have to be careful of rubber stuff. It is easy enough to remove o-rings etc. while you clean parts and re-install them after you blow the parts dry. Seals, well, if you have a part in the solvent tank to clean, you should be replacing the seals anyway.

Most jap seals will be numbered like " 25 35 7 " . That is 25mm inner diameter, 35mm outer diameter, 7mm thick. My local Car-Quest has cross-referenced every seal that I have thrown at them, for about half the OEM price, and usually if they don't have on hand, they will have them the next morning.

Speeed

Proud American
Jul 4, 2004
Thanks again guys, I ended up using a 50/50 mix of mineral spirits and kerosene and it worked great.

reelrazor, thanks for the seal tip.

Top Bottom