ttorbeck

Mi. Trail Riders
Feb 15, 2003
Hello,

I'm a long-time lurker on this forum, but this is my first post. My name is Troy Torbeck and I currently live in Bolingbrook, Illinois in the Chicago suburbs. I lived in the Detroit area for a couple years, and I have attended about six different CCC trail tours over the past three years, but I haven't done much trail riding outside that organized structure.

This was supposed to be the winter that I start snowmobiling in Michigan, but given the current snow conditions I'm starting to consider a dirt-biking weekend instead. I can't get away until next weekend (Jan 6-7). Can anyone tell me about the current trail conditions for the systems farthest toward the South and West? I think the Cadillac area is probably the shortest drive from Chicagoland.

Many Thanks,
Troy

Pushin50

Dec 18, 2006
I have ridden White Cloud and Ceder Creek in the last week. White Cloud has some wet spots but is in pretty good shape. Ceder has a couple mud holes (not bad) near the entrance but all three loops are pretty dry other than that. The sandy North loop is niiiice. The sand is damp but not water logged. The traction is good for sand.

TCTrailrider

Jan 19, 2004
As of today anything below the bridge should be clear of snow. The extended forecast is mild. Everything should be good to go. Rode Grand Traverse today, no snow, no dust, all dirt.

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Troy - Welcome aboard and out of the hands of lurkers. Check your maps a little closer as I make it to Cedar Creek in 210 miles, while Cadillac itself comes in at 285 and I'm less than 10 miles east of you.
I hope unstudded refers to the tires on the YZ.

Rotten Sucker

ttorbeck

Mi. Trail Riders
Feb 15, 2003
Ted,

I stand corrected. Cedar Creek is definitely the closest option. But having never been there, I wonder what the terrain and trail conditions are like. I rode part of the Big O at the 2005 Rites of Spring trail tour, and that turned out to be a 70 mile loop of non-stop whoops (without enough hills and other interesting bits to make up for them, in my opinion).

I've ridden just enough systems around the LP to make me a bit of a trail snob. Riding the Wolverine trail tour the last three years has spoiled me, as I tend to come away somewhat disappointed every time I try a different system. I've heard that the Evart loop is relatively challenging, and that's really what I had in mind when I said Cadillac.

All that said, I would be happy to try Cedar Creek if a group planning to ride there welcomed me to tag along (unless a license plate is required). I'd also be happy to carpool if you're ever looking for a travel partner. I can provide transport or gas money. I'm not usually an early riser, but I can get up when I have to.

-Troy

bross

Jan 8, 2006
License plates are not required at Cedar Creek so you won't have to worry about that. Last I rode Cedar (about a month ago or so) the whoops weren't too bad.

bruno670

Sep 13, 2006
ttorbeck said:
Hello,

Can anyone tell me about the current trail conditions for the systems farthest toward the South and West? I think the Cadillac area is probably the shortest drive from Chicagoland.

Many Thanks,
Troy

I think that the best choice for you would be Tin Cup in the baldwin area. Not to many woops , few hills, many challenges and just a fun trail. If weather permitting I would be willing to give you a guided tour. Cedar Creek would be a big mistake for you if you want a challenge and don't like woops . This is a favorite hangout for the 4 wheel kind and gets plenty of action. The last time I rode this trail I think I seen maybe 300 or so feet of NO woops. Your choice though

ttorbeck

Mi. Trail Riders
Feb 15, 2003
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Ummmm, how about Grand Raqpids???

I'm not sure if you're extending an invitation to ride together or just suggesting a trail loop. If you're suggesting a ride together, I'm game. It even looks like a pretty short detour down to Merrillville if you want to haul bikes together. As far as the "Grand Rapids" reference, I don't know where you mean. I don't see any trail systems with that name in my mapbook, and I don't see one system that is especially close to the city of Grand Rapids. On the other hand, I said "Cadillac" when I meant "Evart" and I also said "Wolverine" where I probably should have said "Tomahawk"...

ttorbeck

Mi. Trail Riders
Feb 15, 2003
bruno670 said:
I think that the best choice for you would be Tin Cup in the baldwin area. Not to many woops , few hills, many challenges and just a fun trail. If weather permitting I would be willing to give you a guided tour. Cedar Creek would be a big mistake for you if you want a challenge and don't like woops . This is a favorite hangout for the 4 wheel kind and gets plenty of action. The last time I rode this trail I think I seen maybe 300 or so feet of NO woops. Your choice though

Thanks for the advice and the invitation. If the weather cooperates, I'd like to take you up on that guided tour offer. "Fun trail" for a bike is exactly what I'm looking for. AA enduro special test conditions are not what I have in mind, just something more technical than wide, whooped, quad trail. I'll try to touch base with you about weather and scheduling on this thread as next weekend approaches.

SNDMN2

Jul 18, 2003
I may be able to hit Evart with you next weekend for a day ride. Rode there a few weeks back in 5/6 inches of fresh snow. What a blast.Rode Mio on Saturday. That was great. Nicely packed and the ride was one of the best I"ve had this year.

bruno670

Sep 13, 2006
ttorbeck said:
Thanks for the advice and the invitation. If the weather cooperates, I'd like to take you up on that guided tour offer. "Fun trail" for a bike is exactly what I'm looking for. AA enduro special test conditions are not what I have in mind, just something more technical than wide, whooped, quad trail. I'll try to touch base with you about weather and scheduling on this thread as next weekend approaches.

It looks like Sunday will be the best day for riding. PM me and we can hook up.

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Troy - A guided tour of Tin Cup with Tom at the helm is bound to be a memorable time. Depending on which way you go, it can give you a good challenge. Me spill the beans? I'm not that big a Rotten Sucker. Under normal circumstances, I would be joining you without hesitation. That is not the case now.
Would you happen to know Jim Rossom on the turn-a-around of Livina Ct.? He rides a 525 and has other bikes for spares and his son.

Young Ted

ttorbeck

Mi. Trail Riders
Feb 15, 2003
bruno670 said:
It looks like Sunday will be the best day for riding. PM me and we can hook up.

"bruno670 has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her."

I get the above notice when I try to send you a private message via this forum. Did you mean something else by "PM"?

ttorbeck

Mi. Trail Riders
Feb 15, 2003
INCA said:
Troy - A guided tour of Tin Cup with Tom at the helm is bound to be a memorable time. Depending on which way you go, it can give you a good challenge. Me spill the beans? I'm not that big a Rotten Sucker. Under normal circumstances, I would be joining you without hesitation. That is not the case now.
Would you happen to know Jim Rossom on the turn-a-around of Livina Ct.? He rides a 525 and has other bikes for spares and his son.

Young Ted

Ted,

I hope your circumstances return to normal soon. I saw that you mentioned something about "no more snow riding this year" on another thread.

I don't know Jim Rossom, but I only know the first name of my neighbors immediately next door. I need to work on my social skills. One can never have too many friends that own five-two-five katooms. That's a sweet trade when you get a chance to swap bikes.

Braaaap,
Troy

D.LEATHERS

Jun 28, 2002
Hey Bruno,
I May Be Interested In Riding Sun. Let Me Know The Final Destination, Time Etc. If The Weather Is Decent And I Don't Have Too Much Fun Watching Anaheim Live On Speed Sat. I May Hook-up With You Guys Let Me Know.

Dave Leathers.

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Lowridn99 - I would say you are in the wrong stall. This is Michigan Trail Riders, no dunes are mentioned and the only jumping we do is at a chance to go trail riding. Try doing a little searching as the scramble area on Lake Michigan has been talked about at one time.

Just trying to help and not be the Rotten Sucker

L

Lowridn99

INCA said:
Lowridn99 - I would say you are in the wrong stall. This is Michigan Trail Riders, no dunes are mentioned and the only jumping we do is at a chance to go trail riding. Try doing a little searching as the scramble area on Lake Michigan has been talked about at one time.

Just trying to help and not be the Rotten Sucker

I couldn't find anything about it anywhere else and I just saw that a bunch of you are from Michigan and might know.

bruno670

Sep 13, 2006
You guys sure missed a great day of riding. Met up with ttorbeck (what a nice guy!!)and had a great time. Rode Tin Cup and the trail sure was busy. The parking lot was just about filled and the parking area off Frank Smith was filling up. Unbelieveable for a January day!! But we sure gave the trail a beating. 1 loop counterclockwise and 1 clockwise. Should've been there is all I can say!!

bbarel

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 13, 2003
Lowridn99 said:
i'm supposed to be going on a trip to MI this summer. Is there any big jumps at these dunes?
I went to the dunes once MANY years ago, and I don't recall there being any big jumps anyone was hitting, but there were some decent sized sand hills and I suppose if you got going fast enough you could catch some air off the top.

Top Bottom