KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
SGJ_Johansen said:
USE CAUTION on the 200 Mike as they are very addicting and after 1 ride you will be buying another bike :boss:

shhhhh....Brian...keep it down..my wife might be listening... :pissed:

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
There really isn't a bad choice but there are differences that play into whats the best choice.

For my type of riding, tight woods and technical stuff, the 200 gets the nod with the addition of the 2k-3 ignition. That takes the edge off the power delivery when the conditions are wet and slick which is about 90% of the time around here. It also gives enough juice for a big light and a set of handwarmers. I"ve ridden a 250 and its very good, more bottom end than the 200 and snappier than the 300 but that can be resolved with the addition of the 2k-3 ignition or flywheel weight. It's probably the best do all bike. The 300xc is a sweet ride. the close ratio trans gives you 2-3 gears for every situation but the abundance of power may get tiring after a long day in the saddle. It comes with the 2k-3 ignition so you have a heavy flywheel and a lot of juice. Adding a 38mm carb makes the bottom a little smoother on the 300 and nets a couple horsepower on top. down side of the xc trans is that is it's not the best choice for flat out trips down a transfer road but realistically consider how often you need to go faster than 60mph and the xc becomes attractive considering the better shock If you want the smoothest possible power delivery consider the Rekluse clutch on any of the bikes.

Hope that helps and happy shopping. If you hook up with any of the Aloha Mulisha guys when they make Eastern Wa rides you can probably get a test ride on some different bikes.

kellyk7

Feb 1, 2006
I can't speak for the newer bikes but mine seems to have a long build to a power band hit finish, I can ride all day long with the slower bikes and just bairly touch the bottom of the power band, I have no troubles "woods riding" with the 4 wheelers and smaller bikes, but when I want some privacy, there is very little on ther trail that will keep to me, if your seriously thinking of getting the 300, I say do it, if there is some small charactoristic your not likeing once you have it, I promise it can be tuned out, these are such great bikes I am thinking trying my hand at a 380 more CCs makes more bottom end,

KTMBell

May 14, 2001
Go 300 XC

I've rode 200's and 300's...EXC and MXC... even the new XCW and XC's. They are all awesome bikes...but I would have to say 300. I love my 200 MXC, great bike in the woods as well as the track, but I love the motor on my 04 300 MXC...simply awesome. It will scream like the two stroke it is, then grunt down low like a four stroke. Hit the hill in second, third or fourth...it will pull you up...any gear.
As for motocross...hit the jump in second, third, fourth, etc...it will jump it in any gear.
My buddy bought on new 300 XC...great bike with the new frame and swingarm. Suspension is on the stiff side compared to my 04, but still VERY plush. Makes me want to buy a new one.
As for me...I ride 50/50 woods and motocross, so the MXC or XC is my choice. Geared better for the track, and works great for me in the woods.
No matter what...if it's a KTM...XC or XCW...you'll absolutely LOVE IT!

Enjoy!! :nod:

KTMBell

Sub

Nov 19, 2004
well, i'm going to assume that since the initial post was made over a year ago the decison has already been made. He wasn't nice enough to chime back in and let us all know what it was though I guess. personally, prefer the 200, and at his size i would recomend it as well but it depends on how you like to ride. I also own a 250sx that I have put a flywheel weight on, and I've got quite a bit of time on a 300exc to compare to. I'm an agressive rider and the 200 is so much fun to throw around and keep it on the pipe. The 300 power is great, and I wouldn't mind having one in the garage, but 99% of the time they are ridden under the hit which isn't the most fun for me. I also get alot of enjoyment out of being faster than fellow riders on a smaller displacement bike, and you can toss the 200 around so easy in the woods. It does take some skill though, you have to keep your momentum up so if your a timid tider at all the 200 won't work for you. I've had so much fun on my 200 since I got it my next bike may be a 125 to drop even more weight.

Lukekelly

Apr 16, 2006
I rode a exc 300 yester day OMG more like a 4 stroke than the 4 strokes Ive riden. absolutly no hit but they can rev high if you want them to. Im only 14 and I was able to handle the power decently on the 300. So you wil be able to

ps Oh yea the one I rode was jetted perfectly that would be the set back of the 300. You will have to jet it good to have it ride nice, it's all in prefrence.

jasper's YZ

Sep 22, 2007
not to bring up an old post again but I am close to making this same decision. It may have been in one of the posts but what kind of top end maintenance are we looking at here? Once a year top end?? Obviously I am sure it depends on some factors.

Thanks

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
jasper's YZ said:
not to bring up an old post again but I am close to making this same decision. It may have been in one of the posts but what kind of top end maintenance are we looking at here? Once a year top end?? Obviously I am sure it depends on some factors.

Thanks

Then answer there is "it depends" on how much you ride! Better stated - how many hours/miles of use between top ends. If you ride little, multiple years, if you ride lots, more often.

I have a 2005 KTM 250 EXC, bought new in April 2005. Used for Michigan woods riding and enduro racing. It now has around 5500 miles or oh, 250 ish hours (not sure on those #s but they are close- my odo broke a while back) on it now. I am just now doing my second top end rebuild, and doing a bottom end rebuild simply as "insurance". Cylinder looked fine, piston and rings certainly looked due for replacement, crank actually all measured up within spec. so technically did not need a rebuild, but I wanted it done on a "preventive" basis anyhow.

In the past I had a 2000 KTM 300 - it had 7 or 8,000 miles on it when I sold it. In that time I did two bottom ends - one due to sucking in mung and goo from a mud hole it was dropped in, the other due to simply time for a rebuild. It had, I think 2, maybe 3 top ends in that same time frame.

your mileage may vary....

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom