ws6transam

Nov 17, 2005
I've ridden a KX500 once - one afternoon's worth of incredible, adrenaline pumping joy. It was twenty years ago and I am still not over it. The engine is explosive, with terrific bottom-end torque, and a top-end rush that leaves you with a lofting front tyre in third gear at half throttle.

I'm not quite sure what you are asking here though - not easy to ride? People "almost" didnt like it? The KX500 is powerful, but isn't a corner-carver like the lightweight machines of today. It's terrific on the ice, from what I hear, and for desert racing, and for open courses with straights. I think a pristine 2004 KX500 would make an excellent investment as a collector's bike. It represents the pinnacle of two-stroke dirtbike engine technology, in my opinion. If people "dont" like it, it's probably because their chosen race course is tight & twisty, or that the engine forces them to learn throttle control. You cannot simply "whack" the throttle open on a KX500 without something big happening.

fmotoracing

Jul 28, 2010
ws6transam said:
I've ridden a KX500 once - one afternoon's worth of incredible, adrenaline pumping joy. It was twenty years ago and I am still not over it. The engine is explosive, with terrific bottom-end torque, and a top-end rush that leaves you with a lofting front tyre in third gear at half throttle.

I'm not quite sure what you are asking here though - not easy to ride? People "almost" didnt like it? The KX500 is powerful, but isn't a corner-carver like the lightweight machines of today. It's terrific on the ice, from what I hear, and for desert racing, and for open courses with straights. I think a pristine 2004 KX500 would make an excellent investment as a collector's bike. It represents the pinnacle of two-stroke dirtbike engine technology, in my opinion. If people "dont" like it, it's probably because their chosen race course is tight & twisty, or that the engine forces them to learn throttle control. You cannot simply "whack" the throttle open on a KX500 without something big happening.
My friend told me that is not easy for the rider, I just curious about it, you have the photo? And by the way, you said that you ride the kx500 before twenty years ago, is it really?
before my friend got a pari of radiator for kx500, but it is not fit his bike, so I want to got a photo the radiator, and want to fix it, so cloud you give me the photo?

99raptor

Oct 26, 2005
I have a '93 kx500 and I doubt many bikes can keep its pace across open desert,,,now if it gets tight thats another story."To hard to ride" ???Just grow a pair and hang onto 63hp.

fmotoracing

Jul 28, 2010
99raptor said:
I have a '93 kx500 and I doubt many bikes can keep its pace across open desert,,,now if it gets tight thats another story."To hard to ride" ???Just grow a pair and hang onto 63hp.
:think: :think: does the '98 kx500's radiator can be fit the '93 kx500?

Top Bottom