SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
I have been having huge probs with my shock in the whoops. The rear fender rebounds and hits me in the butt preventing me from throwing my weight back. Its a SX track so I had my LS comp. set at only 6 clicks out to keep from bottoming out. My HS comp was set 1 click more than stock for hard hits (like casing a triple..ouch). My rebound was set slow as well...6 clicks out. During the first 4 races the bike tracked str8 and true. But the track was reversed for the last 3 races with no changes made to the whoops except going the opposite direction. Now the bike is out of control in the whoops. It constantly bounces me up and out of position which only makes things worse.

I slowed down the rebound even more (4 clicks out) but that had a minimal change. I tried a 1/4 turn down on the HS comp but also minimal if any change. I think I am missing something. Or not understanding proper setup.

I watch guys faster than me and slower than me and their bikes seem to settle in the whoops with minimal rear bouncing. The pros are probably not a good thing to watch as they are quite a bit faster than me but their rear shox stay planted with very lil movement. Any ideas?

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
He said less rebound damping which would be turning it out and making it faster. Not saying I agree or disagree, just clarifying his suggestion.

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
Yes, when you are adjusting the clickers, and turning it one way dosent work, then try turning it the other way. In this case speed up the rebound and see what happens.

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
OK got ya. I turned it 2 clicks out after my 1st practice and it got worse so I don't think less damping is the fix. Could it be too much High speed Comp? Not allowing the shock to go thru the full range of motion? I can still bottom the suspension out on flat landings so I don't wanna mess with the low speed too much. I have a 220lb shock spring in there and I'm only 200lbs.

elf

Jun 7, 2003
When is the last time you had your shock serviced? My 2000 yz worked great for a while then I had to keep turning in the damping till they were all the way in. After I had my shock rebuilt it worked good again.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom