Will 89' CR125 engine fit 2000 CR125 frame??

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
I have a 1989 CR125, the engine is in amazing shape, but needs a new clutch arm (lost it). The bike however needs work.

I am picking up a 2000 CR125 Monday, and to say I am stoked would be putting it lightly. Seems like a great bike, my dad is jealous. Tells me when I want to learn how to ride come see him :rotfl: funny old man.

So I was trying to sell the 89' CR125 for next to nothing, but still haven't sold it yet. I am wondering, is there anything compatable with this 2000?? Maybe I could just keep the motor as a backup, but will it fit this frame??

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
IndyMX said:
Not without extensive fabrication...

The 89 is a steel frame, the 2000 is an aluminum.. Not a direct bolt in at all.

I know there is a difference in what the frame is made of, just didn't know if the mounting locations were the same. I know some parts are almost identical, and I always see people taking CR500 engines from older bikes and putting them into newer aluminum framed CR's.

Wish I could find a shifter cart chassis for cheap...

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Brandon H. said:
I know there is a difference in what the frame is made of, just didn't know if the mounting locations were the same. I know some parts are almost identical, and I always see people taking CR500 engines from older bikes and putting them into newer aluminum framed CR's.

Wish I could find a shifter cart chassis for cheap...

Yeah, those guys that are putting CR500 engines in the Aluminum frames do quite a bit of work to get them in there.

There's a good reason why a Service Honda 500AF is $10,000.. It's a crazy amount of work.

Not something for us mere mortals to take on.

At the very least it's going to take a bunch of skill welding aluminum to get the job done. Cause, no the mounts are not the same. And you can't just rig something up.

It may not look like they did much to get that engine in those bikes from the pictures, but that's the skill of a good fabricator. Make it look like it was born that way and not give away how
you did it.

I've looked around for cart chassis' too.. they're pretty pricey.. However, that might be a little bit more doable to build on your own. Since you would want to build that from steel.

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
Well thanks Indy, thats what I needed to know. I figured it was a plug and play type of thing. Didn't know it required much fab, me aluminum welding skills aren't the greatest, and I am still waiting for a TIG welder as a Christmas present :) .

Making a shifter cart chassis would be sweet, but I am afraid after calipers, axles, yada yada it will be way too much. My uncle works at a metal plant in Ohio, we just got 400lb of tubing from him for free recently, thick stuff too. I was going to make a trailer for my bikes, but maybe I can make something to use the 125 engine in.

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
IndyMX said:
Well there you go, I was wrong twice this year.. Huh..
LOL... out of the whole year, you were only wrong 2 times?? Thats not that bad. :cool:

Thanks Pete, thats good to know, I think I might jsut keep the engine, just incase something every happens to the 2000 im getting. That way I can swap out motors. I am sure I can make my own head stay for it. I have plenty of aluminum plate.

I think I will hang on to the throttle tube/cable, and other things. I am sure the only hard part would be the pipe...idk but I am keeping it then, if it fits it does, if not, then I always wanted a fast goped :whoa:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom