mayhew ian

Jan 21, 2002
i have a 1999 yamaha yz 125 and i wannna ride it on the ice i have it studded and i know i need to jet it richer but i dont know the exact specs. and i was wondering if you have to change the coolant ratio. if there is anything else i would like to know! thanx

AARONA

Apr 11, 2003
I have been living in Alaska for the last 7 years and have had a lot of great winter rides. I've heard a few different views on setup as well, so take this with a grain of salt. I have never siezed a bike in the winter though. One bike I rode a lot was a 1996 CR250. It had a 175 main jet, I switched to a 185 and rode in temps up to -20F. I rode several times and would stop and check the plug. Thats the trick to me, is run it down a stretch WFO and kill it, then check the plug. If your too lean, keep going up on the main. I left all of the other jetting alone, because it is like mud, and goes through the low end so fast your always in the mid-top part of the power. Another thing that can help is to soften all the clickers up. The cold temps make the susp very stiff. I have used a studded front tire with a Moto-Ski for the front, and a sand paddle that I shaved down and studded on the rear with good luck in medium pack snow. If its deep snow, go get a snow machine!
Hope that helps.

skyshot44

May 6, 2003
Throw on some hand guards. The winds on the lake will freeze your pinkies.
It's probably safer to go up two sizes on the main jet, then work from there.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom