Wiring a battery into my home made D/S kit?

sgoeb13

Nov 3, 2000
I just finished dual sporting my '99 Suzuki DR350 With a few wires and connectors (VERY cheap and VERY easy, glad I didn't splurge for an aftermarket kit). I need to know how to mount a rechargeable battery pack into the system. My horn is very weak (Hi/Lo, brake/ tail light work fine), so I would like to wire in a battery sometime in the future. Is it as easy as tapping the positive battery lead into the positive lead on the stock wiring harness and the same on the negative side? Should I mount a fuse in there somewhere? I'm hopefully getting the bike inspected by a Police Officer tonight (a buddy of mine) Thanks for any input you all can provide. -Steve

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Is your stock lighting coil AC . My guess is that it probably is if so you need a regulator/rectifier to convert it to DC before you can put in a battery.

If you have a stock regulator and there is only 2 wires going to it is AC if the regulator has 4 wires to it its most likely a dc system.

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
If you want to charge the battery with the bike's stator then jmics is right. you need to replace your regulator with a regulator/rectifier. Baja Designs sells one for about $20.

The battery needs the black going to a clean ground on the frame and the red needs a feed coming out of the back of the regulator/rectifier. It is the reg/rec's job to not overcharge the battery by limiting the DC voltage to 13.8 VDC.

If all you care abt is the horn then consider a constant loss system and charge the battery off line every 2 months or so.

The hot ticket for the battery is finding a local home alarm store. They sell small gel cell batteries very reasonably. You might be able to mount it somehow in the airbox on the DRZ.

The battery for my '95 KTM RXC was $71 from the dealer. I got the same unit at an alarm store for $11! Same thing on the reg/rec - when it burned out the dealer wanted $162 and there were none in the US! Baja sold me theirs for $20 and I adapted the wiring to make it work no problem.

Another option is the Megahorn - do an internet search for it - these come self contained with a 9v battery and a wire to a button you strap on the handlebar. In fact the unit itself has a rubber strap to hold it to the handlebar. As loud or louder than any stock MC little BEEP horn!

Leo.

Top Bottom