ls vtec

Jun 4, 2010
i have a 98 xr 80 thats been sitting about four years i rebuilt the carb clean out the tank new plug new oil it runs but smokes alot {white/gery} spits and sputters but in the high rpms it runs ok wont idle at all its building up compression in the case if you pull the dip stick out after riding it shoots a big burst of air out not sure but d0nt think is normale any idea's with whats wroung with it would help

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Plugged case vent to start with.

ls vtec

Jun 4, 2010
it is hard to start when hot usally have to push start it when hot and it seems like the carb is loading up with fuel i have to stay on it to keep it cleared out if i leave full on it poors out of overflo never had a honda that did could this be the wroung jets

Last edited:

ls vtec

Jun 4, 2010
also put air filter in and adjusted the idle and air fuel scews and will now idle for maybe 20 seconds it idles really high then low back inforth be for it dies

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
A shop manual might be helpful. It will tell you exactly how to properly adjust the valves (more than just pop the caps and spin a wrench) in addition to the specifications for both the proper valve clearance and how to set the float height.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
'98 should be a black box bike.

Top Bottom