srhill

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2002
My son's 01 XR 80 has sprung a leak where the gear shift lever exits the case.

The collar that holds the rubber seal was damaged when the chain came off and now it's leaking oil. The collar was bent down far enough to where it cracked the metal, so I don't think I will be able to straighten it out and pop in a new seal.

Anyone have any ideas about how to fix this?

A side note: He thinks he is RC and is just riding the dog pee out of it. LOL. I have got to get him another bike with a better suspenders.

srhill

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2002
It wasn't leaking before so I am pretty sure its the bent\deformed metal collar that is messing up the seal.

I guess I will try to straighten it up and maybe JB weld it.

Are there any tricks to getting the old gasket out?

This looks like a pretty vulnerable piece. Do they make a guard or shield to keep this from happening?

Thanks.

Dirtvet

Jan 23, 2000
Same thing happenned to my son's XR 80 a while back, and I was helped greatly by DRN. Throw a few chains and your case gets beat up. I used JB weld in stages to build up the areas taken out by the chain. The leak was small but real - puddle every day. Eventually I got the JB weld to fix it. Wet sandpaper smoothed it. Now it doesn't leak and you can't really tell there ever was a problem in the area.

To prevent this from happenning again, you must keep no more than 1 1/8' total chain slop, just like the chain protector sticker says, AND check your motor mount bolts regularly. This was the true source of the thrown chains, I believe. If the engine can flex a bit in the frame because of loose bolts, the alignment of the front sprocket gets off.

Thanks to DRN contributers, I was informed of this JB bond stuff and told to watch the motor mounts. This bike hasn't thrown a chain since.

srhill

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2002
Now thats what I'm looking for Tommygun.

I started the JB weld process last night. I havn't checked the motor mount bolts ( didn't think about it ) yet but I will soon as I get in from work, thanks for the heads up.

This really is a great forum. I have also been helped alot in Canadian Daves Just KDX forum with some carb jetting issues on my KDX.

z50kidd

Aug 1, 2009
Leaking shifter seal

I know I am beating a dead horse,but where can I get a shifter seal for my 1990 Xr80.And eventually a top end rebuild kit (piston,rings,etc..)

Thanks Jeff

RdoghahaXR

Dec 7, 2009
z50kidd, you can get the part real cheap here- Bike bandit oem parts, just google it, i cant put a link up, but yeah thats where i get all my parts

Top Bottom