ihillig

Sep 25, 2001
hey,
I found a '99 xr400 which the guy said is immaculate. It has a polished motor, e-series pipe, white bros ignition, $500 in pro action suspention, bark busters. Raced 4 times. price is $3600. i havent looked at it yet but i think im going up next week. how does this bike sound? its a good deal so far in my opinion. Ive been looking at theese xr's for a while and thisa one caught my eye. they bank account says i can have it.

snaggleXR4

Aug 5, 2001
Hey,
I would be leary about the fact it has been raced. The price is a tad high IMO. I would offer ~$3200 - 3300. XR4's are great for what they are built for, but trying to make them into more is an expensive and futile effort.

I must say, I recently found a great deal on a 2000 XR650R, and within 2 weeks I sold my beloved XR4. The XR650R doesn't feel any heavier than my XR400 while riding, it is a much more balanced bike and handles tons better. On top of that, it's got power that will rip your guts out. After a couple rides, yes, even in the tight, sandy woods, the XR4 could no longer compare. Not too mention, it will make an excellent dual sport when I get around to it one day.

That being said, the XR400 is still a bullet-proof reliable bike that is awesome for casual to mildly aggressive trail riding. Actually, don't worry about what others think, get what you want, for what you can afford and have fun with it. That's all that really matters. Good luck.

Top Bottom