Vintagesplash

Oct 29, 2005
Has anyone who has a '01 CR250 noticed any frame cracks on the front downtube, just under the steering neck?

I just bought a frame on E-Bay for my KDX/CR hybrid and have found a crack on the top weld of the gusset near the tank mounts. Is this common?

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
Just remember that this will always be a weak spot in your frame. I would drill a small hole at each end of the crack prior to welding so as to create a stress relief. The frames are heat treated for strength, and welding it will bring it back down to a softer state. Just something to keep an eye on from now on.

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
Vintagesplash said:
I've got the equipment and ability to weld the frame and re-heat treat.

I've been fabricating since I was a teen.

How much would it be to get a frame reheat treated? Just wondering as I had to weld new mounts on mine.

Vintagesplash

Oct 29, 2005
I wouldn't charge for it myself. It doesn't cost me anything since my oven is connected to a natural gas well. The oven is home made.

The main problem is I am a sailor, and work 60 on 30 off. My time off is pretty inconsistant. I am due back to work tomorrow, but have asked for the rest of the month off, will find out Monday. My next time on family leave is October.

I have finally gotten my swingarm fitted to the engine. I paid a machine shop to ream the rear motor mount since the largest reamer I have is 5/8". It was cheaper to have it done than to buy a reamer I would use once or twice in a lifetime.

As far as the frame goes, I have to do some research on the hardness of these frames. The earlier frames were too hard and prone to cracking, from what I have read. Right now, I am figuring on an approximate T3 with age hardening.

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
I was wondering as I keep thinking that there has to be a market for altered cr frames for these hybrids. I have access to all of the tools except for the oven for hardening that I needed (and the ream, I just bought a drill bit for 20.00 as the shops in town didn't have the right size anyways.

Keep us updated as to how it goes. Also, if possible, measure the inside of where the swing arm will go. I used a 2003 and only had to file off a little material to make it fit. I still had to part off part of the bushings, but no mill work on the swingarm is required with the 03 cr125 swingarm. Just an FYI in case you haven't gotten this already. Also, I may have emailed you already, but if you need triples I have them. Anyways, good luck.

Vintagesplash

Oct 29, 2005
I spent this morning assembly the parts into a bike, just in case I have to leave Monday. I wanted the parts assembled so nothing would get lost.

I had to take 3mm(1/8") of each side of the swingarm. Then I had to trim the right pivot and the case a bit so the swingarm wouldn't rub the case.

Unfortunately the sub frame I bought off E-Bay is warped. Looks like I will have to work that out. It might be easier to find a shop that has a jig to straighten it for me.

If I am staying home longer, I disassemble it again tomorrow and cut some aluminum plate for my motor mounts.

This motor looks like it was made for the CR. It's odd, but the CR is shorter than my KDX.

Top Bottom