agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
whats every body think of the 02 200 exc
im considering buying one off the show room floor
this week;)

SOTW

Sep 13, 1999
I've had mine now for about a month and just love it! Very light and responsive, can't wait to get it up in the Rocky Mtns. to see how it will do.
Went riding with a buddy of mine who has a 01 cr 250 and he couldn't believe how light it feels compared to his, of course it is based on the KTM 125.
Everything about the bike spells QUALITY! You won't regret it!:)

KDXChris

Jan 15, 2001
I just upgraded from a 00 KDX200 to an 02 KTM200exc (sound familiar?)

The KDX was a great bike to ride/modify for my first 1.5 years of serious riding and I miss the green thing.

But the light weight, extra power, component quality and suspension of the KTM are significant upgrades even over a modified KDX.

I definitely recommend making the move. I haven't regretted it for even an instant and I doubt you will either.

Another thing - the KDX screams for lots of mods right out of the box. The only thing I really needed to install on the KTM was a Pro Circuit SA (the stock SA is obscenely massive) and a set of brush guards.

Keep in mind that the KTM does take more effort to ride. While the bike isn't overly powerful, it does take more work to stay on top of it than the KDX. While I was suprised at first at the difference, I felt at home on the orange bike after 60 miles.

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
im going to my local dealer monday to work on a deal
he is giving me full pay off on my kdx and a little to boot
the pay off is 2798

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
take a good look at the 250e, lighter than the kdx and lots of power.:cool: The chassis is a not as busy as the 200. The 200 hits like a 125 on steroids. The 250 seems to lug a little better when you need to but it can be harder on tires;)

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
i have considerd the 250 and the 300 both and i have ridden a 200
and loved it it pulls like a jap 250 but not quite as much on top

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
I was real impressed with the performance of the 200 until I rode the the 250. After a couple of hundred miles on the bike I found I preferred the 250 handling to the kdx. The chassis stiffness is very apparent in tight woods riding. After switching to the 200 of my friends I felt it was more stable than the kdx but not as stable as the 250. The one word that describes the handling of both bikes is precise. They both respond quickly to rider input.

Most of my riding is in tight woods conditions, preferably single track, with a bunch of roots and rocks thrown in. We often encounter some long hills which favor the 250 power.

Either bike will be a great choice! Good luck with your decision.;)

If you get a 250 I will share my jetting results with you. The needle selection might also benifit the 200

el presidente

Dec 21, 2000
I have had my 200 e/xc for about 2 months now, and i do not regret it in any way, i like the power it has, and the handling. i like the option or not having to clutch the crap out of it to wheelie, all i hafta do is twist. as to the comment as to it hits like a 125 on steroids, i think the 125 hit 90856704396 times harder, i have a buddy w/ a 98 125 e/xc (smb_katoomer) and i am scared at how hard the pipe comes on. The only problem i have w/ the bike, but it is on every KTM is that the seat is so hard it is uncomfortable. Hope i was some help

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
IVE GOT THE DOWN PAYMENT ON MY NEW 02 200EXC
I WILL PICK HER UP IN A MONTH OR TWO WHEN THE WEATHER GETS
BETTER:)

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
I love KTM quality myself and have been contemplating moving from my KLX300 thumper to a KTM 400 E/XC thumper. But as I talk to more KDX'ers I've considered adding a KDX 200 to my stable instead. This would give me a backup bike as well as "the right tool for the job". The downside is maintaining 2 bikes. Plus I've read so many people who've gotten KDXs who no longer see a need for their thumper.

This gets me back to the KTM 200 E/XC. If this is the bike it seems to be, maybe I should just get one of these and be done with it. The dilemma is then the age-old 2-smoke vs. thumper question between a KTM 200 and 400. Maybe it's as simple as do I want to thump or ping, but any guidance y'all have would be appreciated. BTW, I ride mostly trails and hare scrambles here in Central Texas.

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
Go for the e start button! You can't go wrong either way but if you are used to the size and weight of the klx and would be comfortable with the 400 power you might want to consider the 250 exc as the 2 stroke alternative.:)

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
I'm used to the size and weight but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like a lighter bike. I guess I like the low maintenance of a 4 stroke, which leaves more time for riding, as well as the tractable power. Quite frankly had I known there was such a thing as the KDX I may have boght one instead (I grew up on Yamahas in the late '70s and always wanted an IT, which I know were replaced by WR thumpers in '98. I just didn't know Kawi still made such a bike, nor was I familiar enough with KTM or ready to spend that kind of $$ yet).

Before buying it I did ride a used RM125 and what a blast! Light and flickable but not enough power down low. That's what I like about the 200 -- it's on the 125 frame, so it's kind of like a 125 magnum. At the same time I rode a KTM 380 E/XC and it was just too much for me (I'm 5'8" and 160lb).

And I rode a YZ250F a week ago and loved how light the bike was, though I wouldn't want to own it for many reasons, not the least of which is if I want a 125 I'll buy a 125.

I have a friend with a 250 M/XC and next time we go riding I'm going to ride it. I may also be able to swap bike with a local guy here who has a 200 E/XC since he's always wanted to try a KLX, but I need to get to know him better.

marcv125

Oct 29, 2001
hey guys i am having a hard time thinking of which bike to buy? I am thinking of a 02 ktm200e/xc or 02 wr250f. Both are the same price for some reason?? But anyways i have heard that both bikes are great. Its just a matter of 2 or 4 stroke i guess. If anyone has ridden both can you compare the powerbands for me? I live in the east so i have a lot of rocks and such. I have a 2000 yz125 that is currently for sale b/c i now do mostly trails. I know i am posting this in a ktm forum so i might get some biased anserws but anything will help thanks. :)

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
I've been on a thumper for the last year now and love it in the woods and trails. You can putt or roost. I've gotten so used to it I forgot the biggest difference between a 2s and 4s -- engine braking. I rode a KTM 250 E/XC and a bored KX125 today and had to learn to always keep a finger or two on the front brake! The first time I let off it just kept going (luckily I was smart enough to ride in a pretty open area for my first ride out). The KTM was fun but I had a lot more fun on that 125 (the 250 was a bit much and scary, though it was a better bike than the KX). The downside of a 125 was I had to keep it spooled up and use the clutch a lot -- it took too much time to build revs back up after letting the throttle close. I think I'd really like a 200 E/XC, but then I ride mostly trails and woods, with just a small amount of track.

I also rode a YZ250F today at a track, since a bunch of guys wanted to meet there. 125 2s guys we rode with all took turns on the 250F and just loved it -- and that really is who it was made for. It's heavier but more stable and tractable (you just have to remember to stay on the throttle as you jump or the aforementioned engine braking will bite you). You also have to rev the #%@! out of it else you feel like you're out of gears (again, ride it like a 125).

Last edited:

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
200 exc all the way
us 2-strokers have to keep the 2-stroke alive
or they will ban them if there is no demand for them;)

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
marcv125, if I were you I'd be comparing a 200 E/XC to a 400 E/XC thumper. It's a more valid comparison than the WR250, which is more 125 like. Besides, you get electric start and all of the normal KTM quality goodies (powdercoated frame, hydralic clutch, tapered handlebars, big footpegs, nice rims, etc). But the best advice is to ride all of them, including a 400.

You're probably thinking the 400's too much money. Well, that WR may appear cheaper, but by the time you put a real chain on it, some good handlebars, new exhaust, footpegs, etc, you could have had a KTM 400. And even then you won't have e-start or the KTM's smooth power delivery, which is what you really want for east coast woods. You might also consider the M/XC with an E/XC tank if you never see 5th or 6th gear and don't want lights.

marcv125

Oct 29, 2001
400 ex/c? isnt that more like a 250 2 stroke? If so that would be to much for me for sure. If not i will look into it more thanks for the help!!

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
No, I'd say the 520 would be more like a hi-perf 250 2-smoke. One great thing about KTM thumpers is the power is very smooth and controlled vs. the Yamaha YZF/WRF.

To me the biggest decision -- and I'm going through it now myself -- is do you want engine braking or not. For trails it's great since you barely have to use brakes picking down a trail, which gives you more control -- just let off the gas and let the engine slow you down (just like a stickshift car). For going really fast and lots of jumping, it can be a drawback, until you learn to remember to not let the throttle close as you would a 2s.

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
in the june 2001 issue of dirt bike they had a shoot out
highly modified yz 125 enduro coversion
highly modified kdx 220
and the stock exc 200
the ktm won!! there test showed the only thing the ktm could use
was a stock sx 250 silencer and procircuit pipe

Top Bottom